What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Condition Inspection Checklist

mmcmanus

I need a condition inspection checklist. I found a few threads here with links to a checklist but the threads were old and the link no longer exists. I also checked Van's website and no joy. Any help would be appreciated. Post here or you can send to my email.
[email protected]
Thanks.
Matt

I’m a new RV-7 owner in need of condition inspection checklist for RV7. Would appreciate you sending me the ones you received. Thanks!

I need one too, desperately! My regular mechanic can no longer work due to a serious injury so I'm going to use the local shop that has never worked on an RV7. It's a good shop, just no RV experience. Robert

Checklist

Thanks for providing Walt. I found your checklist a couple of weeks ago. I used it for the condition inspection which was just completed. Very complete! Highly recommend.

My thanks as well. I'm heading out to the airport this AM to review your list with my new mechanic. Robert

Walt, I noticed an item on your CI checklist that was missing from mine. You have a line item to remove the prop (if constant speed) and remove sludge (if required). Can you elaborate on this item? Do you remove all CS props for inspection? I have not removed my CS prop since it was initially installed. Any gotchas with respect to introducing maintenance induced failures when performing this step?
Tks,
MD

That item seems like way overkill. Never seen that in the certified world ever.

That's because we don't have a Type Certificate that our aircraft have to comply with.

Also, many of the people doing these inspections have never done one until they inspect their homebuilt for the first time.

Customized inspection checklists are a good way to keep the fleet safe. Every year, I update and expand mine and am happy to do so. It also tells a future buyer exactly what you looked at every year and that the plane is not pencil whipped.

Walt, I noticed an item on your CI checklist that was missing from mine. You have a line item to remove the prop (if constant speed) and remove sludge (if required). Can you elaborate on this item? Do you remove all CS props for inspection? I have not removed my CS prop since it was initially installed. Any gotchas with respect to introducing maintenance induced failures when performing this step?
Tks,
MD

No I don't do it every annual, but I do think its good practice to remove the prop approx every 5 years to clean the lead from crank bore and to do a detailed inspection of everything.
It's also a good time to replace the alternator belt.

Back