What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTR-200 Intercom Squelch

Tim-NJ

I just got my RV back today after a GTR200 and GTX335 install. This replaced an Icom A200, a PS Enginnering PMA4000 and a GTX327. Please don’t mention the GTR200B that literally came out as I was getting installed or I’ll start throwing **** (again).

Anyway, I have the strangest problem where the mic is always hot on the pilot side. The radio isn’t being keyed, it’s just the intercom. I’ve put the ICS squelch on auto, 10% and 90% and I can’t seem to change the behavior.

Obviously I’m going to take it back to the shop but in the meanwhile, any advice other than buy a 200B is greatly appreciated.

I just thought of something but I’m going to post anyway. I think my Zulu 3 has a gain adjustment on the mic under the foam. I wonder if it’s too high?

Last edited:
I just got my RV back today after a GTR200 and GTX335 install. This replaced an Icom A200, a PS Enginnering PMA4000 and a GTX327. Please don’t mention the GTR200B that literally came out as I was getting installed or I’ll start throwing **** (again).

Anyway, I have the strangest problem where the mic is always hot on the pilot side. The radio isn’t being keyed, it’s just the intercom. I’ve put the ICS squelch on auto, 10% and 90% and I can’t seem to change the behavior.

Obviously I’m going to take it back to the shop but in the meanwhile, any advice other than buy a 200B is greatly appreciated.

I just thought of something but I’m going to post anyway. I think my Zulu 3 has a gain adjustment on the mic under the foam. I wonder if it’s too high?

Hello Tim,

Let's hope this is something simple like a configuration error.

We recommend you start by going into configuration mode, and navigate to the Discrete Setup Page. (see page 3-11 of the current Rev. J installation manual).

If one of your input discretes is configured for "Pilot ICS Key", and that input is grounded, the pilot MIC will always be active. From the Discrete Setup Page you can see both whether this input is configured and whether or not it is currently grounded. Neither input should be configured for Pilot or Copilot ICS Key for most installations.

Thanks,
Steve

Fixed!

Problem solved. Steve was right on all counts -

The discretes default to ICS PTT. I have disabled both of them.

AND

The pilot side was pulled to gnd as indicated by an X in the box!

Thank you for the tips Steve. I'll forgive Garmin for releasing the B model while I was in the shop getting a non B model installed :)

Last edited:
Problem solved. Steve was right on all counts -

The discretes default to ICS PTT. I have disabled both of them.

AND

The pilot side was pulled to gnd as indicated by an X in the box!

Thank you for the tips Steve. I'll forgive Garmin for releasing the B model while I was in the shop getting a non B model installed :)

Hello Tim,

That is great! Thanks for letting us know.

Just a reminder that there is a wiring error in this aircraft that is grounding pin 2 when it should not be. As long as that input discrete is never enabled you could leave it like it is, but for peace of mind you also might want to investigate this.

It is always possible a wire is plugged into pin 2 that was meant to be plugged into another pin.

Thanks,
Steve

I have a feelling pin 3 was wired to pin 2, I don?t want to turn on the panel lighting to find out. I?ll take a closer look tomorrow.

Back