What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O360 control cable lengths

az_gila

Well Known Member
I've searched VAF but can't find a specific answer.

I have a standard O-360-A1A with a MA4-5 carb. - should be like most carb. RVs.

It's a -6A but I used the same firewall penetration locations specified for the -7A models. I have the single Vans bracket that supports the end of both the mixture and throttle cables.

Not my pic, it's a -8 but it shows the bracket -

DSCR0077.JPG

Vans specifies 44.5 inches for the throttle cable and the one I bought fits. I haven't bought the mixture cable yet.

The plans call for a slightly longer 45 in mixture cable, but as you can see from the bracket picture above, it appears that would be too long. The bracket has the mixture cable support about 3 inches aft of the throttle cable support, which would imply a cable of around 42 inches.

Since my equipment and locations seem to be pretty standard for a carb O-360 I'm surprised this hasn't come up many times before.

Am I missing something?
Or is there another length used for a O-360 carb mixture cable?

Cable lengths

I have the same setup an O-360 and the M4-5 carb and I used the cables called out for by Van's and have had no problems. The support bracket looks very similar to the one shown in the picture. I have been flying it now for 4 years and 280 hours and have no problems with the cables.

I have the same setup an O-360 and the M4-5 carb and I used the cables called out for by Van's and have had no problems. The support bracket looks very similar to the one shown in the picture. I have been flying it now for 4 years and 280 hours and have no problems with the cables.

When I use the 1/2 inch shorter throttle cable in the mixture position the 'loop' formed in the cockpit is definitely too 'droopy'.

I have a mount for the controls that is a copy of the RV-7 bracket under the instrument panel.

How are your controls mounted in the cockpit? Per Plans or modified? Mine are at the bottom of the panel, and I had to buy a longer throttle cable than came in the kit for my 0-360. I think I used an RV-10 cable and inch longer. I did not have to purchase a longer mixture cable.

This is the location of my engine controls. Note that they are mounted even with the panel, not set back.

FP29072014A0012K.jpg

How are your controls mounted in the cockpit? Per Plans or modified? Mine are at the bottom of the panel, and I had to buy a longer throttle cable than came in the kit for my 0-360. I think I used an RV-10 cable and inch longer. I did not have to purchase a longer mixture cable.

This is the location of my engine controls. Note that they are mounted even with the panel, not set back.

FP29072014A0012K.jpg

I built my panel following the -7 drawings with the controls mounted on an angle about 1 inch forward of the lower panel edge

I built my panel following the -7 drawings with the controls mounted on an angle about 1 inch forward of the lower panel edge

I think that is the difference in our setups then. I didn't have the -7 plans when I built mine. I should have mounted them forward rather than flush with the panel to get that extra 1" of arm room.

Keep in mind that the mixture cable passes through lower on the firewall and then comes back up to meet the engine, so it should be a little longer. You probably already have, but make sure you have the subpanel support bracket for the controls in place when fitting since that will take up some slack in the cables.

I think that is the difference in our setups then. I didn't have the -7 plans when I built mine. I should have mounted them forward rather than flush with the panel to get that extra 1" of arm room.

Keep in mind that the mixture cable passes through lower on the firewall and then comes back up to meet the engine, so it should be a little longer. You probably already have, but make sure you have the subpanel support bracket for the controls in place when fitting since that will take up some slack in the cables.

I talked to Ken at Vans, and it seems my concerns are not confirmed by other builders...:)

I've ordered the "standard" Vans cable and will see how the two "curves" match in the area from the sub-panel to the firewall.

Gill,

I used the two standard lengths mentioned by Van's. Controls are mounted flush at bottom center of std panel on a piece of angle. I think they worked out fine. The curves don't really match, but not sure they could look a lot better, given that the two cables penetrate through different holes. I like the curves on the mixture cable and would have liked to have had the throttle cable about 2" longer. If that were the case, the curves would have been more symmetrical, but still only lined up for half the distance. That said, I am not unhappy with the way they look.

Larry

Al

I used the "standard" cables on my rv-6 with the narrow, vertical center console. Runs are probably no different than the newer, lower edge of the panel setup.

The mixture cable is probably too long. It has a pronounced S-bend that I believe shortens its effective stroke. Getting a stop-to-stop setup took a lot of adjusting and even then is touch and go.

I'd go with a shorter mixture cable if I was doing it again.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 O360-A1A

Years ago when I was building my -6A, my mixture cable ended up being an inch or 2 too short. My installation was per the drawings. A call to Van's revealed that there was a batch of mixture cables that were shipped out that were labled correctly but we're in fact too short. They did not offer to send me a free replacement...I had to purchase a new one from Van.

If you want to go shorter, I have one. I think it is about 3" shorter than Standard. I did not try to install it, as my mock up showed it to be too short. My mixture cable has a pronounced "S" curve, but I did not have any problems setting my mixture travel.

Interestingly I bought my mixture cable from someone on this forum and it was represented to me as 45", but it wasn't. All this time, I thought he pulled a fast one on me, but maybe he just represented it as what he thought he bought from Van's.

Larry

Back