- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2019, 05:55 PM

Default Just another comment - -

I started with the 'sniffer' method, and have never gotten a bad report. GTX-327, Echo and their GPS source. I have not adjusted anything from day one. Has always seemed to work well.
Flying RV-12 - Serial #120036
Paid in May ( 5-2019 )
Old 11-18-2019, 03:31 PM

Can you change the altitude protocol on the GRT to the Garmin/Trimble format instead of FADC-Z. If the echo application begins displaying altitude, that is the issue.

Also, can we verify the baud rate from the GRT serial port is sending altitude data is 9600 or less.

If the unit is directly wired, using the echoMUX, and assuming the echo app has been configured properly there is no need for the transponder threshold adjustment.

If the FADC-Z to alternate protocol resolves the communications issue, you'll need to change the expected protocol on any other devices using that port of the GRT for altitude.

If this does not work, I'd recommend reaching out to our support team. There is a support request on our website and we strive to respond and resolve these very promptly. I hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:43 PM

Default Tried that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane@uAvionix View Post
Can you change the altitude protocol on the GRT to the Garmin/Trimble format instead of FADC-Z. If the echo application begins displaying altitude, that is the issue.

Also, can we verify the baud rate from the GRT serial port is sending altitude data is 9600 or less.

If the unit is directly wired, using the echoMUX, and assuming the echo app has been configured properly there is no need for the transponder threshold adjustment.

If the FADC-Z to alternate protocol resolves the communications issue, you'll need to change the expected protocol on any other devices using that port of the GRT for altitude.

If this does not work, I'd recommend reaching out to our support team. There is a support request on our website and we strive to respond and resolve these very promptly. I hope this helps.
Shane, thanks for reaching out. I have tried all altitude encoding output formats on the GRT with no success. Baud rate on the GRT is set to 9600. I do have an open case, I sent an email this morning and haven’t gotten a response yet (not that I expect a response in less than 24 hours). Thanks - Jason

Last edited by kreidljj : 11-18-2019 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Added ‘all’
Old 11-19-2019, 06:33 AM

I have a similar setup, except GTX-330 (non ES) and Dynon Skyview. The Dynon and GTX-330 are hooked together so the GTX gets altitude data from the dynon and the dynon gets status, squawk and mode S traffic from the 330. I tapped into those same serial cables for the Echo Multiplex cable. I adjusted the settings exactly per the instructions that came with the Mux cable. Everything works perfectly. I get no red of any kind on the PAPR unless I go out of range.

Could you have a defective multiplexer?

On the topic of uAvionix support, they were great. I submitted on on-line ticket and got a call not 2 minutes later. Sent me the Mux and answered a number of questions I had.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec), but donated early in Sep'19.

Last edited by WingsOnWheels : 11-19-2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:37 AM

Default Is there a test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOnWheels View Post
I have a similar setup, except GTX-330 (non ES) and Dynon Skyview. The Dynon and GTX-330 are hooked together so the GTX gets altitude data from the dynon and the dynon gets status, squawk and mode S traffic from the 330. I tapped into those same serial cables for the Echo Multiplex cable. I adjusted the settings exactly per the instructions that came with the Mux cable. Everything works perfectly. I get no red of any kind on the PAPR unless I go out of range.

Could you have a defective multiplexer?

On the topic of uAvionix support, they were great. I submitted on on-line ticket and got a call not 2 minutes later. Sent me the Mux and answered a number of questions I had.
I have a request in for a replacement MUX harness. Is there a way to test the one I have, I hate to start just replacing components? - Jason
Old 11-20-2019, 07:44 AM

Default Solved - Except Initial Question

Solved: I got a call back from Uavionix and they told me that they had a run of MUX cables that were programmed incorrectly. I had to change COM1 to 38400 Baud and keep the other settings per their instructions. I am now seeing altitude from the GRT and squawk from the GTX 327. HOWEVER, meanwhile I had the firmware of the GTX 327 upgraded to 2.13, so it is not clear to me if the update to the GTX firmware was actually required. I have not done a validation flight yet, but I assume all will be well. Thanks for all the advice. - Jason