What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Pushrod End Interference Fit

Well Known Member
When assembling the aileron pushrod for drilling on page 23-3, there is an extremely tight interference fit between the W-1018A rod and the AN490HT8P rod end. I can't fully assemble just yet without using a press. Even after polishing the inside of the pushrod, the fit is extremely tight, and I don't believe I would be able to disassemble the parts for hole deburring etc.

What have others done here? Pressed the parts together and assembled permanently without deburring? Bored out the tube? Turned down the rod end on a lathe?
Something else?

I sanded down the pushrod ends to allow for a good fit but still able to remove for debut and primer.

Got a sacrificial bolt that would fit the ends to chuck into my drill to allow easier sanding.

Edit: sorry was talking about the large torque tube. But same for the smaller pushrod / rod ends. Just chucked them directly into my cordless drill to sand down a little.

Last edited:
I sanded down the pushrod ends to allow for a good fit but still able to remove for debut and primer.

Got a sacrificial bolt that would fit the ends to chuck into my drill to allow easier sanding.

Edit: sorry was talking about the large torque tube. But same for the smaller pushrod / rod ends. Just chucked them directly into my cordless drill to sand down a little.

I have chucked the tubes in my lathe and run a file inside and also wrapped the file in sandpaper to make the clearance better but I am concerned about having to take too much material off. The tube is too small to fit the boring tools I have here. The fit is really very tight. I may see if I can use my hydraulic press to install and remove the rod ends but I don't want to bend the tube.

I have chucked the tubes in my lathe and run a file inside and also wrapped the file in sandpaper to make the clearance better but I am concerned about having to take too much material off. The tube is too small to fit the boring tools I have here. The fit is really very tight. I may see if I can use my hydraulic press to install and remove the rod ends but I don't want to bend the tube.

I ended sanding the AN490HT8P Rod ends more than the W-1018A as there was more material to sand on the rod ends. Remember VANS calls out to prime the inside of those tubes. Sanding so you can insert / remove without a press prior to primer to allow for deburring / etc. I have used a percussion persuasion tool to fully seat the rod ends for final assembly as things were sung at that point.

:)

I've found that wrapping a patch of 220 or 300 grit sandpaper around a much smaller reamer allows for some "sanding" of the internal bore of the rod which is gradual and controlled.

I've found that wrapping a patch of 220 or 300 grit sandpaper around a much smaller reamer allows for some "sanding" of the internal bore of the rod which is gradual and controlled.

I did this - chucked up a large size round punch, and used some adhesive sandpaper. Easy to gradually work the size up. Some of the rods were powder coated and this technique is very good to remove powder coating inside the rod that is causing fit interference.

Back