What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SEE LIVE RV CAM

Gotta love it!

I remember when I first read George Orwell's 1984 I thought - "Impossible - the government could never afford all those cameras!"

It never occurred to me that we'd be out buying them ourselves! :)

You've been robbed

Hey Scot,

Looks like someone stole your project, but at least they left your tools :p

Rusty (love the cam idea)

Shop WEB Cam

Scot,

Can you give us some details about what equipment you are using? My chapter is thinking about doing the same thing at the hangar.

-Vic LaRocca
Little Rock, AR
Working on Wings
New Slo-Build Fuselage Kit just arived

Net Cam

Vic,

I use the "Stardot Technologies Net Cam". http://www.stardot-tech.com/ Bought mine on ebay used for about the third of the new price.

The major difference in this web cam and most other web cams is that this one has a built in web server. You can buy cheaper cameras but you will have to add some way of capturing the video and "serving" it to the viewer. Most people do this with an extra computer dedicated to web serving. The easier method would be to buy a camera (like this one) with a built in web server. Just so you know, my camera is hooked up through a Buffalo wireless ethernet bridge since my shop is a detatched garage and I couldn't run ethernet wire. This setup talks to my D-Link wireless router (inside the house)...hooked to a normal consumer Cox cable modem.

It's actually very simple, if you have somebody in your chapter with basic LAN and port-forwarding skills you will do just fine. If I can help in any way don't hesitate to ask. And be sure to send me a link when you get it hooked up.

Back