What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Uavionix tech explains limited choice for GPS

charosenz

Well Known Member
I emailed Uavionix and asked why the list for GPS units that can be used with the EchoUAT was so limited. I got this very informative reply and thought others might benefit from reading the explanation.

...."The limitation of GPS sources is a regulatory one. Many of the units you describe do not meet the requirements of 91.225 or 91.227. In order to be used with an ADS-B out device, the position source (GPS) must be permanently installed in the aircraft and it must provide integrity or RAIM data to the transmitter. Most ADS-B In solutions do not provide the RAIM data or are not permanently installed in the aircraft. Unfortunately, we are left with a small selection of position sources once you factor in the FAA requirements. Many panel installed units designed before the year 2000 either are not supported by their manufacturers or lacked the capability to provide the RAIM data. I hope this helps you understand the limited selection of position sources available to us.

Ryan Reed
uAvionix..."

Charlie

Back