VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-04-2019, 09:25 AM

Default RV-7? LATE COMER N124KH

Well my project consists of a box containing a travel drive with plans, the initial pages you get with the jump drive, the two practice projects(tool box and flap). Along with a quote for tools (hoping to pick up around the end of the year) and plans to hopefully purchase the first kit early next year.

but Hey - I have my daughter working on the paint scheme already. I've heard that is a real priority.

can anyone advise best suggestion for builders log?

Last edited by hardegg : 09-17-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:40 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardegg View Post
All depends on how much detail you want to document, and how much time you want to put into this.

Can be as quick and easy as checking off each step on the plans ----date and initial is nice. Photos even nicer.

Other end of the scale is somewhere up in the wild blue yonder.

Personal experience with the RV 10-----each step signed on the plans, photos on a CD (that the inspector did not even look at).

The new project is being done the same way-----check,date, photo log.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 05-04-2019, 10:14 AM

Ah - sweet - that sounds easy enough -

Thank you Sir.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:05 AM

Default Blogspot

I just created a blog on blogspot.com. Really easy. Wordpress also works. This is not on my server so I should be backed up on the google cloud. One of these days i will print out a hard copy. Others sites have helped me so I figure I would pay it forward.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2019, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings done less tips and avionics
Fuselage 30%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 05-04-2019, 12:44 PM

2 DAR inspections, a -6 and a -7, never looked at 1 picture or my builders log. I wouldn't spend an inordinate amount of time tracking the build, but rather spend the time building. After all you have to sign a notarized statement verifying that YOU constructed at least 51% of the machine. I think that satisfies the DAR's requirement and covers his butt.
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 250+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600 QUICK Panel.
Manual Flaps. KOXC Oxford, CT
1941 J3 Cub skis,floats.
2019 dues gladly paid.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:00 PM

Default Blogspot

And then you have the OCD end of the spectrum. Every minute and penny accounted in a spreadsheet. At least one photo a day. Notes and photos copied to a Google blog.
Yes, it's way overkill but it's helped lots of builders and I've had to look back many times.
I figure it will help resale value as well.
Feel free to browse. Link is below.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/27/2018. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:48 PM

I track my shop time in a spreadsheet each day with the days activities. I snap a bunch of photos with the phone and upload them to my google drive regularly, but only a handful include me because Iím building solo and taking selfies isnít organic so I have to stage them. I firmly believe your time is best spent building and not documenting, but on the other hand Iíve benefitted significantly from those willing to chart their build and share their experiences. When my airplane finally flies it will be in no small part to the great folks on this forum and others who came before me. ďI am tall because I stand on the shoulders of giantsĒ is how I see it.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardegg View Post

but Hey - I have my daughter working on the paint scheme already. I've heard that is a real priority.

John while painting is important don't forget about modern avionics. That's what impress the crowds. Buy now! From Stein!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post

Can be as quick and easy as checking off each step on the plans

Personal experience with the RV 10-----each step signed on the plans, photos on a CD (that the inspector did not even look at).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpm757 View Post
2 DAR inspections,
I wouldn't spend an inordinate amount of time tracking the build, but rather spend the time building.
Golden advice. Did exactly that which made my DAR satisfied. However if you have have spare time out of the shop put it in an online blog. Average intelligence guys like myself are always on the hunt for a recipe. Ask the Cards if you don't believe me...

Remember the most exciting and satisfying part is the empennage. It gives you the feel you almost accomplished the airframe. Then in three years you hang the engine... and you suddenly understand you haven't started yet.

Good luck John. Keep this thread alive for years to come. First flight of 2026 will come before you know. We will be there for the party

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:04 PM

Default Wise & Experienced

lol!

Great post Vlad!

John, and other new builders, frame this post. Only, be advised that the avionics "buy now" advice is tongue-in-check - I bought good stuff, but way too early. Paint scheme? Check out Vlad's. I flew for a year with the same scheme. However, your daughter's participation is valuable, so encourage it.

Look forward to the party in 2026!

Best regards,

Merrill
Old 05-05-2019, 07:08 AM

Default Vlad's Signature Update

Vlad,

You really should add

Quote:
Remember the most exciting and satisfying part is the empennage. It gives you the feel you almost accomplished the airframe. Then in three years you hang the engine... and you suddenly understand you haven't started yet.

To your signature. In fact, I just added it to mine!

Last edited by MJarreau : 05-05-2019 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Vlad quote added to MY signature.