What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GI 260 Remote AOA Indicator for G3X

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We are pleased to announce the GI 260 AOA indicator as a new option for G3X customers wishing that they had a remote AOA indicator to mount on the glare shield for reduced workload when you need it most.

GI260Tiny.jpg

The GI 260 interfaces directly to the G3X system using as few as 4 wires (CAN Hi/Lo, power, and ground) and provides display of AOA measurements performed by the GSU25 ADAHRS and GAP-26 pitot/AOA probe.

The GI 260 is truly plug-n-play for G3X systems that already use a GSU 25 and GAP 26. When it powers up on the CAN bus, it immediately uses AOA data already available on the bus. You can use the AOA audio alerting already provided by G3X, or connect the optional audio output signal to an audio input of your choice.

The GI 260 has a swivel base that allows easy adjustment of viewing angle and has a built-in photocell for adjusting the indicator brightness for any condition. You may also connect your dimming bus for control of brightness. The display is approximately 1.4" wide x 3" tall.

The GI 260 has a minimum advertised price of $249 and is expected to be available in Q2 2014.

Thanks,
Steve

Bingo!! This is exactly the kind of accessory that makes the G3X AoA capability useful for those that want visual cues. The audio is already good, but it doesn't hurt to have both.

GI260 size Mastercaution light

Two questions:
1. You say the GI 260 display is about 1 ¼” x 3”. Is that the total size including the mount or just the display screen? I’m hoping it will mount in the center of my RV8 glareshield without being too obtrusive. I haven’t seen a picture of it yet with anything else in the picture to help calibrate my eye.

2. I am about ¾ through my G3X dual screen install. I noticed in the installation manual (Pg. E-5) that the P244 connector pin 44 and 45 can be used for a MASTER CAUTION or MASTER WARNING light. Will a CAS WARNING or CAUTION (Pilot Guide pg. 118) displayed on the G3X screen pull 44 and 45 low and turn on the lights? If so, if the CAS message is acknowledges via a softkey, will the Caution light go out even if the condition still exists.

Finally, I cannot find the definition of “CAS” in the Pilot Operating Manual…. My guess is Caution Advisory System.

Eagerly awaiting the product announcements from you guys…. Keep up the GREAT work!!!!

Last edited:
Hello Bob,

The height of the GI 260 AOA indicator, including mount, is 3.2 inches.

CAS stands for Crew Alerting System. Yes, the Master Caution and Master Warning lights, if used, are illuminated when any caution or warning CAS message is present on the PFD and will reflect both the flashing unacknowledged and non-flashing acknowledged condition of a warning.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

my RV7 has a dual G3X and a GSU73... is the GI 260 compatible, and what is involved with installing it?
I did not build the aircraft, and it is a Stein panel...

Hello Ed,

If you add a GSU 25 ADAHRS to your system, you will gain the advantage of a dual-ADAHRS installation, and you will also be able to display angle of attack information on your G3X displays. That's what I did with my airplane. As a second step, it would then be a very simple job to add a GI 260 AOA indicator to provide an additional way to see angle of attack data from your GSU 25 ADAHRS

Here is a link to the current G3X installation manual, which contains full documentation on how to install our AOA indicator and ADAHRS units: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01115-01_V.pdf

- Matt

Hello Ed,

If you add a GSU 25 ADAHRS to your system, you will gain the advantage of a dual-ADAHRS installation, and you will also be able to display angle of attack information on your G3X displays. That's what I did with my airplane. As a second step, it would then be a very simple job to add a GI 260 AOA indicator to provide an additional way to see angle of attack data from your GSU 25 ADAHRS

Here is a link to the current G3X installation manual, which contains full documentation on how to install our AOA indicator and ADAHRS units: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01115-01_V.pdf

- Matt

I am trying to get an approximate price for the GSU 25 ADAHRS, where should I look?

Also, the installation manual link is not active, is there another?
Thanks,

Back