What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CO Detection with Raspberry Pi

Flying Canuck

Well Known Member
Patron
I know there are a few people here who tinker a bit with homebuilt electronics. I've got a panel mounted Raspberry Pi 3 in my plane that I don't actively use (I had plans, built a moving map for it in Python, but never quite finished it). Anyways, this week I got my hands on an MQ-7 CO Sensor. I was wondering if anyone had ever managed to put together a CO detector with these components. I've got an Arduino board that I could use as well, if I had to.

Anyone able to save me some time figuring this out?

I struggled to find a forum for this, hope glass cockpit works.

I know there are a few people here who tinker a bit with homebuilt electronics. I've got a panel mounted Raspberry Pi 3 in my plane that I don't actively use (I had plans, built a moving map for it in Python, but never quite finished it). Anyways, this week I got my hands on an MQ-7 CO Sensor. I was wondering if anyone had ever managed to put together a CO detector with these components. I've got an Arduino board that I could use as well, if I had to.

Anyone able to save me some time figuring this out?

I struggled to find a forum for this, hope glass cockpit works.

I look forward to hearing how this goes for you. I have arduinos and a couple of CO sensors and was planning to put something together myself. I plan to have it part of an engine monitor display i'm trying to setup (displaying GRT EIS4000 serial data and 02 sensor data).

I'm not really a programmer so i'm interested in how others do things.

I dislike the Rasberry pi for these sort of things because it seems overkill, draws more power (probably negligible) and generates more heat, plus it has to go through a shutdown sequence. Arduinos you can just flip on and off.

I was planning to start with something like this and see where it goes:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-CO-Monitor-Using-MQ-7-Sensor/

There has been discussion of CO detectors on the Stratux slack channel... I think a few people are working on integrating one. The SPI bus is getting busy! AHRS, OLED screens, CO detectors...

Well, it was a good idea at the time... In examining the datasheet for this sensor, it requires a 48 hours warm up time before the readings get any sort of accuracy. That is just shy of of a couple of days longer than my range and unless I want to setup constant power in my plane, this is not going to be a practical endeavor. That's a shame, I could have the saved $6/year that the ASA CO detector cards cost.

Well, it was a good idea at the time... In examining the datasheet for this sensor, it requires a 48 hours warm up time before the readings get any sort of accuracy. That is just shy of of a couple of days longer than my range and unless I want to setup constant power in my plane, this is not going to be a practical endeavor. That's a shame, I could have the saved $6/year that the ASA CO detector cards cost.

I have zero faith in those little cards. I had an exhaust leak once and my electronic co detector was alarming with readings well over 100ppm (don't quote me on the exact number) and the card showed nothing.

to get that sensor to read in PPM will take a bit of work as the curve is not linear for that sensor. it can be done, but to get accurate and reliable output you will need to have a chamber to validate the output and mapping.

bob burns

Back