What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview upgrade to SVtouch or get the dynon dongle?

AirHound

Well Known Member
Is it a good value to upgrade to SVtouch for 1295? My goal is more expeditious and exacting waypoint flight planning data input. Or, does dynon dongle data transfer from ForeFlight accomplish the same for a lot less cost? Doug

I don't use ForeFlight but I do a similar process with FltPlan & FltPlan GO. At least with that, the offline planning and upload into Skyview with the WiFi dongle is very smooth and, IMHO, I wouldn't upgrade to touch just for that.

I would do both. $35 for the WiFi is a no brained, but touch is too if you can afford it.

I would do both. $35 for the WiFi is a no brained, but touch is too if you can afford it.

I couldn't agree more...almost. The WiFi is indeed a no brainer. My AFS 5600T has a clumsy flight plan input, and that's solved by the WiFi and (in my case) an ipad running FlyQ EFB. The touch, however, is over-rated, and I use mostly the buttons. BUT, if you have the discretionary money, why not upgrade.

SkyView Touch

Another advantage to the touch screen upgrade, it is an new unit with a new 3 year warranty.

I had a 7 year classic, even though I had no problems with my unit, it was a no brainer for me.

Think about it, and decide what is best for you.

Brian.

Classic to Classic Touch

Tim,

Yes they do. It is a SkyView Classic to Classic Touch upgrade only, not to a SkyView HDX.

Call Tech support, tell them you want to do a screen upgrade and they will give you a RMA number and you send in your screen and they will copy all your files and setting over from your old screen to a new one. Normally it should only take a day or so. The cost, if my memory is correct is $1295 for the upgrade.

Then they will charge your CC for the upgrade and return your new screen to you.

Personally, I would make a copy of all your settings on your own memory stick before you send yours in.

Good luck.

Brian

Last edited:
Is it a good value to upgrade to SVtouch for 1295? My goal is more expeditious and exacting waypoint flight planning data input. Or, does dynon dongle data transfer from ForeFlight accomplish the same for a lot less cost? Doug

I do all my planning with Seattle Avionics FlyQ EFB and upload it via wifi to my Skyview Touch. It takes seconds. Simply amazing! I would think it would work in a similar way with the standard Skyview. For $35, I would try that before dropping the money for the touch upgrade.

The dongle it is, mainly do to potential value impact from LSA rule changes

Thank you for the insight on the Touch and dongle capabilities. As a measured response to pending eventual LSA spec changes and potential devaluation I’ll see what the dongle will do for me for now. Any opinions about that rationale?

Last edited:
Skyview does have Flight plan memory. Flight plans get stored on the removable memory stick . For users of the Ifly app, that now communicates with the Skyview.

Back