What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Base Leg Aviation now an authorized Rotax Service Center

vic syracuse

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Mentor
I am really pleased to announce that Base Leg Aviation is now an authorized Service and Maintenance facility for Rotax 9 series engines, having been duly trained for a week at Lockwood Aero in Sebring Fl.

Even though I have been installing, flying, and maintaining these engines since 1992, the training is not only a requirement, it is well put together and very informational. Those of you who are maintaining your own engines should really consider taking at least the 2 day class.

Vic

That is great. I have never flown a Rotax powered plane, but I do know from reading and talking to people who do own and maintain them the Rotax has enough different in operation and maintenance from say a Lycoming a specialty shop is recommended. A&P with specific Rotax experience and/or knowledge is a good thing.... I also understand that more Rotax qualified repair stations are badly needed as Rotax popularity explodes....

With that said (soap box) I think Lycoming and Continental missed an opportunity to up their 85-150 HP game. The venerable Continental O200 100 HP is awesome. They could have updated, lightened it, EI, FI. (I think they did, but not sure why it was not a hit. I have a theory see next Par). The Lyc O320 is great if all you need is 150 HP. If you need 180-200 HP the Lyc 360 is great. If I had a VariEZ or LongEZ a Continental O200 or Lyc 320 would do.

When FAA brought into the LSA and Sport Pilot class Rotax had a big advantage with an engine targeted to the LSA sized plane. They (European market) had been at the game for decades. Once the FAR's were changed to allow these "European" planes in USA, Rotax had a big lead in the market with their low HP and light weight engines. Personally not a fan of geared anything unless it is a big P&W radial or Merlin V12.... water cooling also more complication and prefer air cooled (unless a Merlin V12). With that said Rotax has been improving their product for decades and people are reasonably happy. They are not perfect and they are NOT cheap. They may have more HP per LB but Cost to HP is high. I would go Rotax before Auto conversion. However Rotax is a distant second to Lyc 360 for me personally.

Last edited:
I am really pleased to announce that Base Leg Aviation is now an authorized Service and Maintenance facility for Rotax 9 series engines, having been duly trained for a week at Lockwood Aero in Sebring Fl.

Even though I have been installing, flying, and maintaining these engines since 1992, the training is not only a requirement, it is well put together and very informational. Those of you who are maintaining your own engines should really consider taking at least the 2 day class.

Vic

Congrats Vic

One clarification on your "required" comment.

There is no requirement from the FAA that someone have factory training to work on a Rotax 912 engine. To meet the FAA's requirements an A&P must have "type specific training". This can be obtained many ways (long term direct experience, like you have; being mentored/supervised by someone that already has the experience; etc.) The FAA has gone on record (I have a copy of the document) that a manufacturer or OEM supplier can not institute regulations or requirements over and above, or contrary to the cFAR's.

What a manufacturer can do, is institute requirements for maintaining warranty coverage or eligibility for being considered an official factory service center. Rotax requires that for continued warranty coverage, work on the engine has to be done by an iRMT factory trained mechanic (note: if the engine is out of warranty, then the need for meeting this requirement is gone, but it can still be a good idea to use someone with extensive Rotax experience).

Rotax is rather flexible with this to a point because a huge part of their customer base is experimental class airplanes that are built and being maintained by owners. I have never heard of a problem with a warranty claim because a non factory trained owner had done all of the oil changes and other maint.
So my recommendation is that while their engine is under warranty, owners make sure that all maint and inspections prescribed by Rotax are done and recorded in the engine maint. record, and if they have to have any work done that is beyond general maint. (particularly something that they expect to file a warranty claim for), that all of that work be done by a current iRMT (iRMT's have to get recurrent/renewal training every two years).

Having said all of that, I can't echo loud enough Vics recommendation for owners to at least get the Service Specialty Training.

Regardless of how much prior experience you have working on aircraft engines, the 912 is a very different engine. Beside being taught what to do, the classes will teach you a lot about what not to do.
Considering the cost of these engines, the additional cost of traveling to take a class is a no brainer in my opinion.

As for where to take the class? I can't say enough good about Dean at Lockwood (and all the rest of the staff there).
Dean is at the top of the pile for guys outside of the Rotax company, as far as the level of knowledge of Rotax engines and he is obviously passionate about passing on as much of that knowledge as he can. That makes Lockwood a great choice (and it is a great travel destination as well.... particularly if you are in to auto racing... it is right next door to Sebring racing complex).

Ed, one of my co-worker / shop guys will likely be headed back there soon for 912iS Heavy Maint. training.

If you go, tell Dean that Scott and Ed sent you.

With that said (soap box) I think Lycoming and Continental missed an opportunity to up their 85-150 HP game.

If you do a bit of research you will find that they both made an attempt to do exactly that (the now defunct Cessna Skycatcher had the updated Continental engine)

In both cases, they fell far short of meeting the power to weight ratio provided by the Rotax 912. This was to a large degree the down fall of the Skycatcher. The heavier engine made the final airplane empty weight result in a useful load that was, well, nearly un-useable. It wasn't the only reason for the failure but it was a big part of it.

It is not by accident that the majority of SLSA class aircraft in the world are powered by this engine.....

I have read that worldwide, Rotax has sold more aircraft engines than ALL of the other brands COMBINED!

Congrats Vic.

Rotax is a leading supplier of engines for many segments of the sporting world. I just drove my buddies Canam UTV, 170HP turbo. It almost flies!
The ATV and UTV market dwarfs aviation. Rotax is also big in snow, marine, and karting.

Continental used to make industrial engines for tractors, forklifts, etc.... but went aviation oriented a long time ago. I have a continental in an old forklift. Lycoming was more diverse as well, but went aviation specific as well a long time ago.

Who would have guessed the market shift.

Congrats Vic

One clarification on your "required" comment.

There is no requirement from the FAA that someone have factory training to work on a Rotax 912 engine. To meet the FAA's requirements an A&P must have "type specific training". This can be obtained many ways (long term direct experience, like you have; being mentored/supervised by someone that already has the experience; etc.) The FAA has gone on record (I have a copy of the document) that a manufacturer or OEM supplier can not institute regulations or requirements over and above, or contrary to the cFAR's.

Yep. Left out the extra "for warranty work." Apologies. Some of it is also required if you have an SLSA and want to perform the maintenance.

Vic

Back