What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPhone ham test

dhall_polo

Well Known Member
If you're an APRS wannabe looking for an easy and fun way to prep for the HAM test, *AND* you have an iphone...

Thumbs up to this app and a big thumbs up to the iphone for making study a little more fun. I first read the typical HAM books and then started taking tests on the iphone. The app generates random tests using the called for distributions of questions by topic. Using the app, I quickly progressed from making some average scores to making perfect scores.

The app gave me enough confidence that I signed up for the test weeks sooner than I expected. It took me 15 minutes to ace the test. The drive to take the test took longer. I laughed all the way home that I was a HAM. I had just joined the geek club of yesteryear. Happy to carry the torch! Now I have a whole new subject to talk about with my father-in-law. He's a ham nut who likes to restore old school tube radios for HAM.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/amateur-radio-exam-prep-technician/id297951496?mt=8

Last edited:
RE:Being a HAM!!!!!!!!

I second Don. If you want to be a HAM with the crumb dropping capability of APRS.............go for it. The test prep stuff makes it a breeze..........and the test was real easy.

Frank @ 1L8 ..RV7A.. Flying and waiting on my new call sign as a HAM:eek:

Just purchased the iPhone app after trying the free version (free version doesn't have all the questions) and it looks to be well worth the price of $4.99 to be able to run through the questions and tests on the iPhone.

greg

Go 4 it!

Just a few times throught the question bank, and the test will be a breeze. As Sam said in one of the stickies, much of the info is in areas that pilots will either know, or find easy to grasp. Hardest thing for me was finding a test that was being given soon enough. May not be that way everywhere, but I'd recommend finding a test site/date, then jump on the test prep and go 4 it! You'll be ready in no time, ace the test, and be on your way to dropping APRS BB's quick as can be! :D

PS: Don, I also have that whole new thang to talk about with my Father-in-Law (who also likes airplanes). My wife just rolls her eyes and calls me a geek! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Make sure you get the "technician" version (unless you want something higher). They all look the same on the iTunes website, and I just ended up with the "general" version when I wanted the "technician" one. Relatively cheap mistake (an extra $5) but a bit frustrating. The link in the first post is to the "general" version, FYI.

greg

link corrected

Now the link in the first thread points to the technician test. Greg, I owe you a beer.

Don,

No problem, but glad you corrected the link. All those icons look the same on iTunes. Hope to be licensed mid-April.

cheers,
greg

P.S. But I'm not averse to the beer some day...

Back