What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another One

GrayHawk

Well Known Member
Just took the Technician test, should have the call sign about Wednesday. I have the pieces all ready, just need to put them into a wing tip.

I'll use the nav. light supply like others have.

Last edited:
Just took the Technician test, should have the call sign about Wednesday. I have the pieces all ready, just need to put them into a wing tip.

I'll use the nav. light supply like others have.

Congrats on the new license! Let us know when we can start trackin' ya. :D

Received Call Sign

I have my call sign now. Ready to do the configuration and then install into wingtip.

Do you need to register somehow with the aprs system ??

I have my call sign now. Ready to do the configuration and then install into wingtip.

No registration necessary. Just config your tracker and start using it. Here is a configuration that works nicely:

tracker_config.jpg

To elaborate on your question--when your tracker sends a beacon, that packet eventually ends up being received by an iGate which sends all the different packets it gets to an internet portal. (Most of us use aprs.fi because the maps are better than any other APRS sites.) The internet site then displays the trackers with no intervention necessary from us. Put your callsign in this link to see the latest position of your tracker:

http://aprs.fi/?call=[I]your call sign[/I]

The call sign in the URL will be what you put in the "callsign" field of the config table.

Happy tracking!

Last edited:
Just got the shipment notice from Byonics, mine's in the mail. The antenna is on order from Pete. I have an unused switch in the panel for those times when I don't want to be tracked! I guess I need to get the test passed before I light it up!

Thanks Sam,

As soon as I get everything installed & tested; I'll post my data. It will be in an RV-6A based at Fort Collins-Loveland, CO (FNL) and at Spicewood, TX (88R).

Steamboat

If any of you Colorado trackers get up by Steamboat, let me know what the coverage is like - I'm headed there this summer.

If any of you Colorado trackers get up by Steamboat, let me know what the coverage is like - I'm headed there this summer.
Might be a good test flight for me. I've wanted to go over the divide near Long's Peak (14259') for some time now.

re: Received Call Sign

No, not at all, Gary.

But if you have an interest, Email me and I'll add your callsign/N-number to the stations my site (http://www.mail2600.com/cgi-bin/everyone.cgi) tracks. It only tracks stations that want to be tracked (vs. every APRS packet that comes across the network) in order to reduce the clutter and allow archiving tracks indefinitely. Personally, I like to look back at my old tracks every now and then and would be disappointed to see them "scroll off".

And congratulations on passing your Tech exam!

Joe, K7JD

Installing tracker this weekend...

I FINALLY went down and took the test and passed the first try. I have been so busy with life and work that the tracker just sat on the bench in the hangar for the last couple months. KD0DZL is my new callsign although I will also use my N number as my tactical callsign for tracking purposes. Can't wait to get her installed, I REALLY like the safety factor, plus people can see where I have been lately (unless I strategically turn it off as needed:p).

Back