What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Marker Beacon Antenna Grounding?

9GT

Well Known Member
Patron
I am installing a Comant MB antenna in the wing tip of my -10. This antenna: http://www.skygeek.com/ci102.html I have fabricated a fiberglass shelf to mount it to and suspend in the center of the wing tip. The instructions say to make sure it is grounded properly. Since it is not touching anything metal,,,,,should I make a ground wire to attach to the wing rib or would it be better to carry the ground wire all the way back to the battery ground? :confused: I do not intend on using the airframe for my electrical grounds and am running ground wires for everything. Thanks folks.

You need ground plane

A ground wire to the wing, or the battery for that matter, would not be enough. The antenna needs a ground plane to work properly. Depending on the size of your fiberglass shelf, you could use a piece of thin aluminun, as big as you can make it, and ground that to the wing. I'm not sure you'll be able to get a large enough ground plane for it to work effectively inside the wingtip, but it's worth a try.

As mentioned above, the antenna needs a ground plane. You could forego the fiberglass shelf you fabricated and mount the antenna directly to the outboard wing rib, ensuring a good ground. No need to run a separate ground wire. While this installation is not as electrically ideal as mounting the antenna on the belly of the aircraft, it will still remain hidden in the wingtip and provide adequate performance. The marker beacon receiver does not require an ideal antenna installation as it's only receiving a signal when in close proximity (or directly over) the beacon transmitter anyway.

Thanks for the help. I think I will fabricate an aluminum mounting bracket to attach directly to the wing tip end rib and hang the MB antenna out a couple inches into the fiberglass tip. I am just trying to keep the outside of the airframe as clean as possible. My Com and VOR/GS antenna's will be on the outside however to optimize reception and transmission.

Back