What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

31b-17 Step 2

Gandalf

Well Known Member
I found one post stating that the "smaller" hole for the headset jack needed to be drilled out to the step in the isolation washer. Since I sand the step in the isolation washers to the slightly less than the thickness of the seat ramp floors, I assume the steps in the stepped isolation washers should fit snuggly into the appropriate holes in the seat ramp floor. On my very old kit it looks like I need to step drill out both holes so that the step "falls into" the hole. Is this correct?

Jeff

Yes

Jeff ? Don?t remember needing to make my headset jack hole larger to accommodate the isolation washer ? but I have a somewhat newer kit.

But yes ... the raised area on the isolation washer needs to fit INSIDE the hole so it can do its job of isolating the jack from the metal seat floor ? so guess a few easy turns of a reamer should solve that issue for you.

Of course, as you mentioned, the raised area on the isolation washer needs to be sanded down as to not extend beyond the thickness of the seat floors.

Happy building,

Not sure about that

Jeff, I have an old kit and I'm one that had to work between the old and new harnesses. I'm certain that I did not have to enlarge any holes. With the conversion the insulation requirements change. Refer to Section 31-B. This may not apply to you.

As I recall, I had to enlarge the smaller of the two holes. My headset sockets were the same diameter externally, the internal holes were sized differently to suit the plugs.
DaveH

Last edited:
As I recall, I had to enlarge the smaller of the two holes. My headset sockets were the same diameter externally, the internal holes were sized differently to suit the plugs.
DaveH

Thanks to everyone who replied. I checked all four of my isolation washers and indeed they are all the same size. On my kit I needed to drill out all four holes to about 15/32 to fit the isolation washer.

Jeff

Back