What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire pathway past F633

wirejock

Well Known Member
How did you route wiring through the snap bushing on the forward end of the seat ribs and get past F-633 Control Column Mounts?
It looks like you can pass wire into the space between the center spars then back out but not my favorite option.

Hi Larry. That one has always confused me too. You go to all the effort to drill some holes, that appear now to be essentially useless. Fortunately I got the thumbs up from Van's to drill another series of 5/8" holes about 7/8" from the floor and about 1 1/4" forward of the seat pan lip (or just aft of the stiffening bulge in the rib). It appears that even this isn't quite right as it conflicts slightly with the position of the roll trim servo, so it looks like I will have to drill a new access hole on the most onboard rib. Hindsight can be so cruel sometimes. Still interested though in how to get around the control column mounts. I am thinking a bit of flexible conduit that firmly fits these 5/8" holes, with sikaflex in both ends to doubly make sure it doesn't move. Start it at the rib just outboard of the control column mount, run it around the mount and into the hole on the rib on the inboard side. There appears to be room at all control angles for the conduit. Have the conduit under a slight bit of tension to stop vibrations and place another small dab of sikaflex between the conduit and the control column mount to further stop the chance of vibration.
Tom.

With exception to the two center holes, I did not use the forward snap bushing holes for that reason. I could see no good way to secure them from control interference.

Most of my wiring goes through different, smaller holes drilled aft of the sticks.

Larry, you are right, that is a tight area for wires, hands and attachments for wires. I ran many behind the control corridor for this reason. It is tough to get a bundle to make a turn sharply out of the spar too. Also, risks for wire attachments that break loose.

I can take some pictures in a few days if they would help.

I got permission from Van's to drill an extra set of pass through holes through F-704s in the bay second in from the wing roots. They were very specific as to where the extra holes could be put. I then ran the wiring forward of the 704 before going aft. This was for the purpose of getting extra wiring to the wings and com antennas. I don't have a pic of this to share currently.

For stick trim wiring, I also added holes low and aft of the lightening holes in the seat ribs for trim wiring as seen here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0SnNGSPyuShc2d0NXhoSDJSMUk/view?usp=sharing

Back