What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Titan Aircraft Engine Xpert

I suspect you are only discussing the four cylinder engine here.

My 540 is very happy at the nine quart level.

Yes I was talking about four cylinder types. Nine quarts is the magic number for most 540?s for the same reasons.
If you were going to do a max range flight and were concerned about running low on oil before the end of the flight. Lycoming type engines can be serviced to the max oil level. They will consume the top couple of quarts faster than normal.

Oil consumption up

Hi Bobby,

First, thanks for joining the forum. There are lots of "opinions" offered here but it's refreshing to get one from someone with the credentials to back theirs up.

My IO-360 typically burned one quart of oil in about eight hours. Recently the rate of oil burn has jumped to one quart in four hours. I don't have any leaks and with an inverted oil system installed it is unlikely I would get much thrown from the vent and the clean belly supports that. Since it appears that oil is getting by the rings I'm wondering what you would suggest I do to find the problem and how to address it.

For starters I plan on doing a compression check and observe the condition of the spark plugs to identify the cylinder(s) that may be burning oil. I welcome your suggestions.

Hey Smokey----do a CLT test.
Tom

I Googled "CLT test" and got "Central Location Tests are a type of qualitative research technique" and "The Fox School Computer Literacy Test (FOXCLT) is designed to assess your knowledge of basic computer skills."

you are going to have to give me more, Tom!

Smokey,
Try CLT test on aircraft engines. I got Cylinder Leakage Test.

Otherwise known as a compression test, right? I always check for the source of leakage when I do a compression test. Leaking through the intake or exhaust is not good but some leakage past the piston rings (heard through the oil filler pipe) is normal. If one cylinder is leaking down faster than the others through the rings I think I will have found my source of abnormal oil consumption.

If I narrow it down to one cylinder what should I do? Pull the cylinder? Replace the rings? Re-hone the barrel? Anything else?

Hi Bobby,

First, thanks for joining the forum. There are lots of "opinions" offered here but it's refreshing to get one from someone with the credentials to back theirs up.

My IO-360 typically burned one quart of oil in about eight hours. Recently the rate of oil burn has jumped to one quart in four hours. I don't have any leaks and with an inverted oil system installed it is unlikely I would get much thrown from the vent and the clean belly supports that. Since it appears that oil is getting by the rings I'm wondering what you would suggest I do to find the problem and how to address it.

For starters I plan on doing a compression check and observe the condition of the spark plugs to identify the cylinder(s) that may be burning oil. I welcome your suggestions.

The compression test is definitely the place to start. Check your records to see if any cylinder shows a change in compression, since the last time you preformed this test. Small changes or variations or normal, large ones are not.
You should perform a bore scope inspection to see if one cylinder has a wetter appearance than the others. As part of this inspection you should rotate the engine backwards to open an intake valve, look in the area of the intake valve stem and back side of the valve for carbon formation or oil. Do this on each cylinder. If this area is wet with oil, on one or all of the cylinders or it has a large carbon formation in this area. The oil consumption is through the intake guide.
Because you are not seeing oil on the belly of your bird you probably don?t have excessive ring blowby. The oil is being burned in the combustion chamber instead of being pushed overboard thru the breather.

The compression test is definitely the place to start. Check your records to see if any cylinder shows a change in compression, since the last time you preformed this test. Small changes or variations or normal, large ones are not.
You should perform a bore scope inspection to see if one cylinder has a wetter appearance than the others. As part of this inspection you should rotate the engine backwards to open an intake valve, look in the area of the intake valve stem and back side of the valve for carbon formation or oil. Do this on each cylinder. If this area is wet with oil, on one or all of the cylinders or it has a large carbon formation in this area. The oil consumption is through the intake guide.
Because you are not seeing oil on the belly of your bird you probably don?t have excessive ring blowby. The oil is being burned in the combustion chamber instead of being pushed overboard thru the breather.

Bobby,

Did a compression test today and there are no changes since the last test, about 8 months ago. All cylinders are better than 76/80. I'll take a look with a scope next week after we get back from Louisville.

Thanks for the response!

Titan IOX370 (205)

Hi all,
Can any of you experienced types think of any space issues putting an IOX370 (205hp) with horiz cold air induction, twin Pmags, Vetterman 4/4, inverted oil (injection type undecided) under a Showplanes cowl for my fastback?
The Showplanes cowl seems tighter than Vans.
Thinking of an MTV9 prop on this setup.
Any thoughts?

David Davidson
UK
- G-RRRZ RV8 "Tiger 74" Built, Flown, Sold
- RV8 Fastback "Special" in-build - READY FOR POWER!!

Hi all,
Can any of you experienced types think of any space issues putting an IOX370 (205hp) with horiz cold air induction, twin Pmags, Vetterman 4/4, inverted oil (injection type undecided) under a Showplanes cowl for my fastback?
The Showplanes cowl seems tighter than Vans.
Thinking of an MTV9 prop on this setup.
Any thoughts?

David Davidson
UK
- G-RRRZ RV8 "Tiger 74" Built, Flown, Sold
- RV8 Fastback "Special" in-build - READY FOR POWER!!

That Showplanes cowl may be slightly tighter but all that stuff fits between the engine and the firewall. We do it all the time. Suggest you do NOT put the battery on the firewall and you will have room for everything.

Thanks Smokey. Battery already going in the back for w&b.
Is the Titan horiz cold air induction and Vetterman 4/4 exhaust clearance ok on the cowl? I used Superior on my last, with Vans cowl and that was tight.
Any space considerations on different injection systems?

David

Thanks Smokey. Battery already going in the back for w&b.
Is the Titan horiz cold air induction and Vetterman 4/4 exhaust clearance ok on the cowl? I used Superior on my last, with Vans cowl and that was tight.
Any space considerations on different injection systems?

David

David,

The Titan 370 is a parallel valve engine which is smaller than the angle valve IO-360. The 4/4 exhaust does not interfere with the Titan induction and it really fits nicely around the engine. The pipes are smaller diameter than most other exhaust systems. I have not seen the 4/4 exhaust clearance other than with Van's cowl so can't say for sure, but I doubt there will be any issues. With horizontal induction you will have many choices of FI servos. If you are using a snorkel you will probably have to modify the intake to fit most of them. That's not a big deal. Most cowls have problems interfering with the alternator. Use a small alternator belt so you can tuck the alternator up close to the engine. A large alternator (60 amp) may require a bubble in the cowl if clearance is an issue.

HP Curiosity

The Titan EXP brochure that came with my engines lists the carburated 360, with 8.5 cylinders at 185 hp, not the 180HP we normally associate with parallel valve 360's.

Bobby Looper, and others, I'm curious, is that slight hp increase real?

And another question, the cold sump injected version with 8.5 cylinders lists 188 hp. Also wondering, is the 3hp increase due to the fuel injection or the forward facing induction?? (Probably both, I suppose.)

The Titan EXP brochure that came with my engines lists the carburated 360, with 8.5 cylinders at 185 hp, not the 180HP we normally associate with parallel valve 360's.

Bobby Looper, and others, I'm curious, is that slight hp increase real?

And another question, the cold sump injected version with 8.5 cylinders lists 188 hp. Also wondering, is the 3hp increase due to the fuel injection or the forward facing induction?? (Probably both, I suppose.)

I have an ECi kit O-360 engine I put together some years back. It came with similar claims.

When Craig Catto cut my first prop, I was able to over spin it. It took three props to get it close to right. Craig's comment at the time was that I was closer to 200 hp than 180.

This is a stock 8.5:1 O-360 with dual P-mags. Other than that, it is nothing special.

Who knows if that is true or not, certainly not I.

Those that have tested the cold air sump (Mahlon) stated a 7 HP increase. Fuel injection would be a given since it is fwd facing but likely helps with more even fuel distribution.

A friend with that engine on his -8 also had to swap his prop 3 times to get it close to right. We suspect he is closer to 195 with the cold air sump, AFP fuel injection and dual P-Mags.

Last edited:
ECI IO 360 Oil Use or Blowby

Hey Bobby Looper, hope you still look at these posts.

My 500 hour since new ECI IO 360, with a Anti Splat seperator has since new used what I'd estimate to be too much oil. Early on, I'd put in 4 to 5 quarts and assumed it went to 3 real quick due to blowby. The separator never seemed to make it so could run with 4 to 5 quarts. I've evolved into running 3.5 to 2.5 quarts and seemed like I was between 8 to 10 hours before needing to add.

Lately, I'm putting in 1/2 quarts every 3 to 4 hours. How do I know if it is burning the oil or spitting it out? The belly is pretty clean, plugs don't look oily when changed (NGK auto plugs).

Titan Engine Tech Support

Bobby Looper retired to his hangar home at Zuehl Field in Marion, TX ( East of San Antonio ). He's happily doing his personal projects ( race car, Cessna 150, motorcycles, etc. etc... )---- lucky guy.

For Titan engine tech support, the Continental Aerospace Technologies team in Fairhope, Alabama is available; Here's the email address;

[email protected]

Phone 888 826 5465

Back