What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

U-803's

brucegray

Hey guy's,
Saw a few viewing so thought I would through this out. I fully understand the the print and the description in the manual about the installation.
My question is, "The manual tells you to remove material as neccessary to achieve the .030" Gap with the 2 close tolerance bolts torque evenly to 240 in-lbs."

The first attempt I reached 150 in-lbs and it bottomed out so figured at least .030 should come off. I did this with a mill and back onto the airplane. I now have 240 in-lbs on the one and the gap is about .020 on the outboard and .030 on the inboard. I tend to believe this is my straight hole I drilled when mounting the gear. The other side same situation. I will have to remove material on that side to acheive the .030 gap.

Anyone out there at this stage that is experienced in this area or talk to factory for there input? Maybe some pictures or some in service 8's that haven't experience no trouble?

I appreciate anything or helpful wisdom you have to share.

TIA,

Bruce Gray
RV8 Fuse
Finishing, wiring, panel, but No motor! Yet

u-803 gap

Hi Bruce
I had the same issue and question although my gap was in the 40 range so i called and was told bigger or smaller gap within reason made no difference as long as the proper torque is applied and they do not bottom out.:D

Kirk,
I phoned RV Central and talked to the man, "Jay Pratt" and his words were, "He has seen all variations of gap and tapper due to the hole alignment but has not seen anything alarming to date." Some rare cases of some out of torque spec but thats it at inspection time.
It's reasuring to hear it from the field on situations us builders come across that don't quite meet print and we stand there for an hour scratching our head wondering if that is acceptable or not?

Thanks for the reply,

Bruce Gray
RV8 Fuse
Finish, Wire, Panel, No Engine, Yet!

Back