What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffle screw behind dipstick tube challenge

Sylvainsting

Hello,

Is there a possibility to put the baffle Philips screw behind the dipstick tube without remove it ? It is installed for good with some locktite and I would want to avoid to remove it..

Does somebody have a tricks for that ?

Thank you
Sylvain

Might be possible, but could not find a way so . . .

I just did mine and with the rivets all in the baffle and that bracket found no way to install without either bending or removing the dipstick tube. I removed the tube.

My baffles are painted and maybe wrestling with it would have worked, but I chose the easy path and no scratches.

I think you're going to have to remove the dipstick tube. (Easy though)

When you remove the tube, tape off the hole so you don't accidentally drop the screw down it. :eek:

I used a socket head cap screw. It's just possible to install and remove it with the dipstick tube in place, if you use a ball-end driver to get it started.

Thank you

Thank you Matt. It helps.
Do you know the exact size of this screw ? Here in France with the metric system, I have some difficulties...

In advance thank you
Sylvain

Thank you Matt. It helps.
Do you know the exact size of this screw ? Here in France with the metric system, I have some difficulties...

Sorry, I don't have the plans here in front of me, but if you look up the MS number of the Phillips head screw specified in the plans, it should be easy to figure out. I believe I used stainless, although cad-plated cap screws can be obtained also.

Sorry, I don't have the plans here in front of me, but if you look up the MS number of the Phillips head screw specified in the plans, it should be easy to figure out. I believe I used stainless, although cad-plated cap screws can be obtained also.

It should be a MS35206-281 screw.

http://www.fastenersuperstore.com/products/256430/mil-spec-machine-screws

Get a larger #3 Phillips bit to insert the screw rather than the usual #2 bit size.

I found a bit holder for my 12 inch long 1/4 drive extension did the job easily with a torque wrench.

Thank you very much Gill for your reply.

I am happy to know there is a solution without removing the dipstick.

Sylvain

Back