What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dealing with a dinosaur in my panel

Darren S

Well Known Member
I have my old faithful a Bendix/King KMD 150 Dinosaur GPS in my panel. The data card is waaaay out of date (2012).

What to do? I can't find anywhere that sells a new data card. I'd even be willing to pay the ridiculous price I paid in 2012 for it but no joy on finding a place.

It's flying season and I don't want to start panel upgrade now. This GPS feeds my autopilot and inputs to the Advanced 3500.

Ideas? Anyone have a more current card for sale?

Thanks,

Darren

I have an even older dinosaur, a KLN-89B, which works quite well but was made before color was invented. I don't swap datacards for it but instead just download updates from BendixKing. I see they have data updates for the KMD-150 as well.

It looks like one update is $199 and individual updates get cheaper if you purchase more of them up front.

I have an even older dinosaur, a KLN-89B, which works quite well but was made before color was invented. I don't swap datacards for it but instead just download updates from BendixKing. I see they have data updates for the KMD-150 as well.

It looks like one update is $199 and individual updates get cheaper if you purchase more of them up front.

I wonder if the 150 uses the same data cable as the 89B. I had to make my own because there was no way I was paying BK almost $100 for that thing. I think I spent a total of about $45 to build mine.

Ok thanks for the help. I ordered one from Wingman services. Yes a total ROOK at $199 US dollars for this, but what else to do:(

Go fly, burn 100 LL and enjoy life:)

I have a KMD150 as well, which came in the airplane when I bought it in 2011. I updated the database last year (ouch). The old database appeared to be the one the unit shipped with; it was dated 2002! And you thought you were out of date;)

Back