What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stratus II Location...

TomVal

Well Known Member
Today I completed my second flight with the Stratus II. I mounted it adjacent to the fuel shutoff valve on the painted floor. I wanted to suction cup mount the Stratus but needed a non-porous surface, so I pop-riveted a piece of lexan on the floor. The lexan provides a very smooth surface for the mount and works well.

photo2-4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Stratus gps worked fine at this location with the floor mount. I did purchase the external plug-in antenna for the ADS-B input. Pleased with the configuration.

Last edited:
Floor location?

Tom, I wanted to ask you if you're still happy with the floor mount location you mentioned last year for your Stratus II. Also, do you have an external antenna?

"Today I completed my second flight with the Stratus II. I mounted it adjacent to the fuel shutoff valve on the painted floor....."

Here is the information I read on the web regarding installation location...."ADS-B reception can vary greatly depending on the orientation of Stratus and its location in your aircraft. ADS-B is ground based, meaning the best mounting options provide an unobstructed view of the ground in your aircraft."

I'm thinking of buying a Stratus II and looking for information on where is the best place to install them in an RV12.

Thanks

Last edited:
Either sitting on top of the gas tank or suction cup'd to the window above the gas tank works well with the internal antennas in the Stratus for ADS-B and GPS.

Stratus mount

I posted this pic a while back, so please excuse replowing old battlefields.
i-WDzqvsR-M.jpg

Works well in this location without need for an external antenna. Out of the way, in fact, so out of the way I sometimes forget to retrieve it after hangaring the plane.
Here's the suction mount, available from Sporty's and others:
i-SG3T3w8-M.jpg

BTW, being upside down is not a problem, somehow it figures that out and recalibrates to it's location and position.

Last edited:
Before I installed my Freeflight ADS-B I used to put my Dual 170 on top of the gas tank. Since I have carpet I just put a square of Velcro on the bottom of the unit to keep it in place. I also installed a 12V socket on the metal bracket that holds the ELT antenna so I could keep it charged. I still carry it as a backup.

When I had a Stratus 1 and my Mooney, I started out velcro-ing it to the glare shield. I found that the black case and direct sunlight would cause it to overheat. After this happened one time, I threw it in the backseat, and found that it still had good (acceptable) reception. I also put it in the baggage compartment and in the footwell of the backseat. Never had any reception problems.

We have both the remote ADS-B suction cup antenna and the remote GPS antenna for the Stratus II. That allows you to just about put it anywhere you want.

Tom, I wanted to ask you if you're still happy with the floor mount location you mentioned last year for your Stratus II. Also, do you have an external antenna?

"Today I completed my second flight with the Stratus II. I mounted it adjacent to the fuel shutoff valve on the painted floor....."

Here is the information I read on the web regarding installation location...."ADS-B reception can vary greatly depending on the orientation of Stratus and its location in your aircraft. ADS-B is ground based, meaning the best mounting options provide an unobstructed view of the ground in your aircraft."

I'm thinking of buying a Stratus II and looking for information on where is the best place to install them in an RV12.

Thanks

Steve,

I mounted the Stratus on the floor to minimize exposure to direct sunlight plus it gets some cross ventilation from the air vents. The GPS works fine from that location, however, I did purchase the external ADS-B antennal and suction cup mounted it to the front canopy. I didn't want to mount the Stratus to the canopy. I felt the canopy material was too flimsy to hold that weight and would possibly be subject to cracking.

Regards,

photo%202.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back