What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose Wheel Fork

truflite

Well Known Member
I have been assembling the landing gear, tires and wheels to my 7A. The sides of the fork on the nose gear are parallel to each other withing .006", close enough to where I can flex to fit parallel. When trying to insert the nose wheel assembly into the fork, the aluminum adapters that slide into the bearings are causing the assembly to be .139" too wide for the fork. I would rather not force these two parts together and cause an out of parallel fit at the axle. I have a metal lathe and can remove .0695" from each adaptor and give everything a perfect fit. Any reason I should not persue this course of action?

David, there are days worth of reading on these forums about the nose wheel, bearing and "axle" design of the RV's. Do a search for nose wheel axle solid and enjoy.

Bottom line IMO is think twice about installing the design that Van's has. Instead, make or buy some sort of solid axle.

For an abbreviated look, check here.

That thread got way off track, and was combined with another thread, but the challenges of the design are described.

Back