What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bumps

JohnF

Well Known Member
I have been doing a lot of short flights of late for various reasons. In the past 47 days I have flown 35 times, and am convinced that there is never a 'bump' in the sky that the RV-12 doesn't find.

[/I]

Depends...

If you're a late sleeper...you'll more than likely find bumps.

If you're up at 5:30 a.m. and flying by 7:00 a.m., more than likely there won't be any bumps...when I fly.:)

That, and after 8:00 p.m.

Best,

For you non-12 RV pilots...

I sure appreciated John's Q because I'm trying to wrestle with the choice of which RV we purchase & fly: a pre-built 7 or 9...or a 12 kit.

So for those of you who fly a 6/7/8/9 RV - and especially those of you who have flown BOTH the -12 AND also one of the above - how do those RV's compare to flying one of the typical Part 23 GA a/c when it comes to handling turbulent air? Perhaps you can compare what the ride is like in your RV with what it would be like, in comparable conditions, to be in a 172 or a PA28 or an AA-5X. That would sure be a useful data point for me (and Ms. Patricia, my partner in crime & co-pilot). I've flown a -12 in bumpy air and it strikes me as one of the better LSA-type a/c in handling turbulence...but with clearly more movement than the GA a/c I mentioned above.

It's July here in Florida...so I'm hoping for a flight in a new-ish 9A soon - no doubt the best A to my Q. But in the interim, how 'light & bouncy' are the E-AB Vans 2-seaters, do you find?

Many thanks (again...) for the coaching.

Jack

It is not just "Van's 2-seaters" if you have not flown an LSA I suggest you do boefore making your decision, they are wonderful to fly but they are Very Light, wind makes flying decisions for you sometimes.

I have flown 4 different LSA, and spend many weekends flying with a friend in a beutiful RV-10 4-place, they are two very different types of airplanes, The Ten likes to fly high and fast,

The LSA's are low and slow and planning goes a long way to deciding when you fly, i have had the most beautiful flights at sunrise in an LSA, and nearly had my teeth jarred loose trying to land it in the afternoon heat of AZ.

It is just a different type of flying, (Flamers ready...) In my opinion it is almost ironic that the Sport pilot ticket is limited to aircraft that arguably require better low and slow, and stick and rudder skills to fly, in any decent wind, you will need to have honed your crosswind skills and be proficient at slips.

Yep--it bumps

I flew a Grumman-American Yankee for 13 years before building my -12. The first thing I noticed is how much the -12 bounces around compared to the yankee. Then I started thinking-- it's 300 pounds lighter, has almost 3 feet more wingspan and cruises at the same speed. The flip side is that on a hot day the -12 is off the ground in 500-600 feet and climbing at 1000 fpm (solo) whereas my limits were 2000 paved and 3000 sod for the Yankee. Yeah, I'm an old maid but at least I didn't bend it.

It's a lot of fun to fly and the easiest airplane I've ever flown to make good landings but when the sky is full of those pretty little cotton-balls its more fun to stay on the ground. You just can't have everything.

Wayne 120241/143WM

Buck 50

I owned and flew a 150 for 9 years before the -12. I had the same complaint in the 150, if a bird broke wind I was rolling all over. While I too get bumped around in the -12 it is a somewhat different ride than in the 150 (again, the 150 was about 300 lbs heavier) the effects of the bumps were most noticed in roll in the 150 where they are most noticed in yaw int he -12. Just make sure to give a 747 at least twice as much room as you think is needed, don't ask me how I know.

Here in the cloudy Northwet (not a typo), it is usually bumpy near the ground but if you can get above the first layer of clouds it usually gets pretty smooth. As a result, I rarely fly below 4500' and usually try to go as early in the morning as possible. To get up and down I just tighten the straps and hold on.

If you're a late sleeper...you'll more than likely find bumps.

Pierre is right, bump avoidance is all in the timing. Besides, flying in the early morning can be wonderful. Or, as a dear friend of mine once said, "God does not charge us for time spent flying before breakfast".

From a technology standpoint we RV people are sunk, "ride quality" is all about wing loading. With higher wing loading and higher aspect ratio, two attributes lacking in RVs, comes a smoother ride.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

RV-12 not limited to low and slow

:)
......The LSA's are low and slow and planning goes a long way to deciding when you fly................

It's true that VFR flying requires good planning, but that shouldn't limit you to "low and slow". The '12 climbs easily to 8,000 - 10,000 and flies very happily there. Cross-country flights are very enjoyable above the haze/turbulence layer, and you can enjoy the higher true airspeeds and smooth ride. This is a very capable cross-country machine, and it will beat any 172 class airplane from A to B! Oh yes, and it's fun low and slow too.:D

Big John, Living in AZ, 25 minutes north, east, or west, and 8 - 10K is Low and Slow :)

Oops! Hadn't considered that! Great choices - freeze all winter in the northeast, or get your teeth loosened in the southwest! At least we don't have tornados - very often!:D

Back