What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose Gear, drill or not to drill?

Gary's RV7A

Ok, I've done a lot of research on drilling the top hole on the nose gear, a little over whelming. I'm not sure my little drill press is up to the task. Plus, drilling the correct location is a concern. Is there a website that shows step by step instructions on how to drill the top hole? Or does Van's sell a nose gear with this hole already drilled, hoping I can make an exchange? Thanks!

From your login name I must assume your building/rebuilding a 7A. As far as I know all nose-gear legs have come pre-drilled from the factory for like a gazillion years. Call Vans!

Thanks for the reply...

That's what I thought, previous owner must of special ordered it without a hole? Thanks again, I'll call Van's.

I know that some of the guys putting Subie's on their RVs ordered nose gear legs with no hole. As already mentioned, it should be a simple matter of reaming a pre-existing hole.

Ok, I've done a lot of research on drilling the top hole on the nose gear, a little over whelming. I'm not sure my little drill press is up to the task. Plus, drilling the correct location is a concern. Is there a website that shows step by step instructions on how to drill the top hole? Or does Van's sell a nose gear with this hole already drilled, hoping I can make an exchange? Thanks!

Your drill press is not up to the task.

I've drilled one NG leg with a Subby mount - never again. The job needs to be done on a milling machine.

The original EGG procedure was to start with a small diameter bit and step it up to the final hole which I believe is 7/16. I broke numerous bits and reamers - finally got the job done but it was not the tight precise hole it should be.

You could send the leg back to Van's, or whoever their vendor is, and have it drilled. Or find a local machine shop to see if they could match drill it to your mount.

Last edited:
It depends on if your engine mount is drilled or not.

If your engine mount is drilled, then your leg should also be drilled, if it is not, then they need to be drilled together, or they both need to be drilled with the proper tools/jig to make sure they align correctly.

It would definitely make it easier later on down the road if they were both drilled perfectly centered and square just in case it needs replacement.

If it never needs to be replaced, then it does not matter where that hole is oriented (Well, it needs to be fairly close to perfect, but not exactly).

I too would suggest using a nice solid machine to drill the holes. It will make it easier to get nice round holes of the correct size.

Nose Gear Hole

I did this for a friend of mine on his Subie nose gear. I have a mill and lathe in my basement. I used a cobalt drill and a HSS reamer. The hole came out great and I threw out the bit and reamer as they were useless afterwards.

Dave Nellis

Back