What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Visit to Grand Rapids Technologies

truflite

Well Known Member
I was on business in Grand Rapids this past week and finished early on Friday. I made arrangements to visit GRT and talk with Carlos regarding what I would want in an EFIS and EIS for my RV7A. When I pulled up to their building, I was not sure this if I was at the right place. The building was used as an awning supplier still had signage with the awning company name on it. Walking up to the door, I found a sheet of paper taped to the door that said indeed, I was at the right place. I walked in and was promptly greeted by the receptionist. I apologize, I am bad with names and do not remember her name.

My first impression of the facility was not good. There are open ceilings throughout and fluorescent lights strategically placed screwed to the rafters. Carlos joined me shortly with a firm handshake and immediately offered me a tour of the facility. Not long into the tour, I realized my first impression of the facility was DEAD WRONG. Carlos took me through most of the facility and introduced me to any workers that passed by. There are at least four assembly stations where larger components are assembled and brought together to create the monitor and the electronics behind it. All assembly is done in this building except the etching of the printed circuit boards and the population of the surface mount technology components. The printed circuit boards are made and the surface mount components are installed by Michigan companies. These units are 100% American made.

After the tour, we headed for Carlos' office to talk about what I wanted to do for my EFIS and EIS. There is a computer on his desk with Microsoft Flight Simulator on it and a mockup of all the GRT Products. The flight sim is tied into all the displays and they are operable. He had me do some sim time to show me how everything works. I flew and he pushed buttons. He showed me all the options available between the Sport and the Horizon and even though I wanted to go with two of the small screens, Carlos said I would be better off with one screen with my build parameters.

Although I am still at least a year away from needing avionics and other wiring done, Carlos did not mind me taking up his afternoon. The best time to order the unit is when it is absolutely needed so that any updates will be included. BTW, all software updates are free.

So, I am sold on the GRT Sport with one large screen, the EIS and all the whistles and bells that will make for a great panel.

GRT is manufacturing a quality product, that I have no doubt. Although their facility is not "polished", it is professional in every aspect of the word and I have no reservations about flying safe and sound behind GRT Avionics.

Thanks Carlos for a great afternoon and I hope to talk to you soon with my order.

Dave Nellis

Just remember Van's Aircraft started out in Van's backyard, then moved to an old feed mill for many years before building the beautiful facility in Aurora they have now. Tru Trak started in a quonset hut hangar.

Successful businesses invest in in quality staff and product first before spending a lot of money on a fancy building.

GRT's products are top notch and their support is first rate.

Martin Sutter
Building and flying RV's since 1988
EAA Technical Counselor

GRT is absolutely the best, both in their products and their service. I choose GRT for my RV7A with some research but since it was my first time going the EIFS route, I knew there were some Experiment involved here. Well, I have never been happier with my decision and GRT has definitely earned my loyalty. The entire team is top rated but I have interacted more with Sandy and Carlos and both are absolutely awesome in their knowledge and customer service.

I'm happy that GRT choses to spend money on product upgrades rather than spending it on fancy facilities. I'm also glad they chose to keep prices reasonable, rather than increasing prices so they can afford a new facility.

GRT

I invision this thread being one of those big number posted threads with how great GRT and the whole team is.

They are all just super and go out of their way to make sure the customer is happy. Their products and customer support is simply superb. Dave Buntin

A great day!

It was the kind of day you wish was every day. Had most of the day off and made plans to visit GRT. This has been on my list of things to do for a long time.

Started out with a couple of hours of regular work - from home because my client has election day as a holiday. Then off to vote, and a drive out to the airport. No big rush, I was ahead of schedule, so I had a chance to chat a bit with some of the folks hanging around the airport (Ray MI - 57D)

I had made arrangements with Carlos to fly in to Riverview airport (08C) and meet him at 1pm. The weather was perfect. Clear skies, literally no wind to speak of. Wheels up at 11:40 for a less than an hour flight. I spoke with Flint, Lansing, and Grand Rapids as I cut right across the middle of the state. Riverview, as you might expect, is nestled in a bend in the Grand River.
Even though I was a bit early, Carlos was waiting when I landed. As he walked up I asked him if he wanted to go up for a quick local flight. Didn't take much to twist his arm :D I didn't even get out, he hopped in and off we went. He's flown the 6A, 7, 10 and 12, but it was his first flight in a 7A, and his first behind a Subaru engine. We resisted the urge to just tour the state for the rest of the day.
It was about a 15 minute ride to GRT, which was everything that Dave reported. This is definitely a work place, not a show place! Electronics everywhere being assembled and tested. Very low keyed, very high tech. Got to meet a number of folks, like Sandy and Jeff, who I've talked to or emailed over the past few years.
Greg Toman was in his 'office' - a work room - working on autopilot servos. We talked for a while about flying RV's (the GRT test bed is a 6A) and instrument flying - he's working on his IFR rating, and I'm a CFII. Then back to Carlos's desk to see the latest products in action. Awesome SVT graphics. We talked about some questions I had about my Sport, explaining a few features of the latest S/W I had recently installed but haven't had the chance to fully expore.
Eventually it was time to go back to the airport. When we were discussing my Sport, Carlos suspected my SL30 setup needed tweaking, so before I took off he fixed that.
By the time I took off, it was 4:30! Time flies when you are having fun.

But my day wasn't over yet. I was scheduled to fly with a couple of students at 6pm. I had originally planned to fly back to Ray and then drive to Troy airport where I teach. I decided rather than fighting traffic, I'd just go directly to VLL - landed at 5:15, so again, no rush. These were students I hadn't flown with before (I was filling in for another instructor) and they thought it was really cool that I flew in to fly with them! They were even more impressed when they found out I built the plane, and where I had been all afternoon. I suspect the Van's website will have a couple of new viewers today.

After flying with them, I got back in the RV for the 10 minite flight to Ray, where I did a Synthetic Approach to runway 9 - at an airport that doesn't even have an approach. The G1000 doesn't do that, but my GRT Sport does!

So in 1 day I worked, voted, starting at 11:30 am flew most of the way across Michigan, spend the whole afternoon at GRT, flew to Troy, flew with 2 students, flew back to Ray, and was home by 9pm.

Today, it's back to the real world :rolleyes:

Back