What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Radio Stack ? Hiding the Nuts!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
One of the tricky parts about equipping an RV-3 with a center radio stack is that every little bit of width you add to the stack takes away from the critically small leg room. Ideally, the stack would be no wider than the radio racks themselves. Obviously, you need some sort of rails in which to mount the racks, however, and I decided I want some thin cosmetic sides (which will probably end up with some ventilation holes by the way?). So when you put it together with the racks and screws, you end up with something like this:

IMG_4344.JPG

Sort of ugly, huh? I thought so! Of course, I wouldn?t use hardware store nuts, the final assembly would be with lock nuts ? but still ? they aren?t in a straight line (You'd think all Garmin racks would have identical hole placement...), and they stick out of a smooth side. Cosmetically, not very attractive. It could look nicer if you added some width to the stack to allow for hiding the nuts between the rack rails and side panels, but I?d rather have the leg room. I thought about this for a couple of days, and then, while standing in front of the scrap bin, I spotted some 3/16? thick bar stock left over from some other part of the project. Out of curiosity, I pulled out a tap for a #6 screw, drilled and tapped a hole, and drove in a screw. I then cranked down on the screw to see if I could strip the threads in the aluminum ? and instead, stripped the Phillips head into a smooth cone first. With a little lock tight, this should be more than adequate to hold a radio rack!

The rest was ?easy? ? except it took a very steady hand to drill holes in my ?solid aluminum nut plate strips? because they needed to be centered in larger holes in my template (the already-drilled side rails). Here they are in rough form, installed:

IMG_4346.JPG

I?ll end up doing a little more tapering and smoothing, and might even rivet on a cap strip to completely hide the open holes ? one more little art project on the road to a nicer cockpit. It takes away 3/16? of legroom on each side, but only for ??. I think we can live with that. Of course, it adds a little weight to the airframe ? but we?re working on that. Healthy diets, losing weight, living and flying longer! ;)

Paul

...as to why you need an audio panel in a single seater?

What's that placard I saw...."The best thing about a single seat airplane is the quality of the social experience!"....oh yeah - good question! Actually, the reason has to do with all the other toys. We certainly don't need an intercom, but switching the audio between Comm 1 and Comm 2, plus mixing in the audio from the XM music source, alarms from the G3X, a cell phone interface - all make it just complicated enough that the audio panel makes it really simple. Sure, I could build a circuit board and switches that do all that, but the audio panel does all that without me having to do electronics design....

Considering center stack with a control stick immediately forward of the stack, are the nav and com radios high enough for readability and frequent access?

Yup, the placement is one of the reasons we ordered our Oregon Aero foam at OSH this year - we wanted to set our eye heights so that we could place the avionics accurately for visibility. We built some plywood mock ups and moved things around before developing the aluminum prototype that you see here. Cockpit design is probably what I enjoy most about building, to be honest!

Paul

Last edited:
Rounding over

<snip>

I?ll end up doing a little more tapering and smoothing, and might even rivet on a cap strip to completely hide the open holes ? one more little art project on the road to a nicer cockpit. It takes away 3/16? of legroom on each side, but only for ??. I think we can live with that. Of course, it adds a little weight to the airframe ? but we?re working on that. Healthy diets, losing weight, living and flying longer! ;)

Paul

Paul,

If you're thinking of rounding the edges of the strips and have access to a router, a round-over bit with a bearing can take an hour's worth of filing down to just a few minutes.

20080821-08-tn.jpg

20080821-09-tn.jpg

If you go this route, just be sure to use some extra material on either end of the workpiece to support the router base and prevent gouges in your material:

20080821-10-tn.jpg

That -3B is looking great. Can't wait to see it flying.

Center stack radios

I had the GPS on my RV-4 mounted under the panel forward of the stick and it was a *terrible* location. It was in shade when the rest of the panel was in bright light, a pain to access, etc. Hope your experience is considerably different!

I pulled out a tap for a #6 screw, drilled and tapped a hole, and drove in a screw. I then cranked down on the screw to see if I could strip the threads in the aluminum ? and instead, stripped the Phillips head into a smooth cone first. With a little lock tight, this should be more than adequate to hold a radio rack!

If stripping is a concern you can buy helicoils (probably McMAster is best bet in small qtys) in whatever size you need for the holes.

I had the GPS on my RV-4 mounted under the panel forward of the stick and it was a *terrible* location. It was in shade when the rest of the panel was in bright light, a pain to access, etc. Hope your experience is considerably different!

Thanks for the input Ed. We really don't have any other location to use, so I spent considerable time with mockups on "Reach and Vis", and it's actually pretty good in this cockpit. Lighting...well, we'll have to see!

I like the router idea guys - I have a really nice router that hasn't been out of the box ever since I got to building metal airplanes....might have to dig it back out...

Paul

I used #6 bevel head screws mounted from the inside out and then nylock nuts on the outside. It ended up being fairly unobtrusive.

DSC_0500.jpg

DSC_2027.jpg

I could see and access my radios just fine, I made sure of that before I committed to the design. In fact the top edge of the com radio is strategically positioned to be as high as it can be and still not be obstructed by the instrument panel. That's the joy of building an RV-3, you get to engineer all this stuff yourself!!

Last edited:
It's pretty easy to see where the inspiration for my avionics stack came from, isn't it? I have Randy's pictures printed out and hanging above the workbench right now....

Back