What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tower Dialogue I love to hear

MrNomad

Well Known Member
Don?t you just love it when you hear tower dialogue like:

SCENE 1: You just departed the runway in your RV. You?re following a Piper. In just a few short seconds, TOWER calls and says: PIPER 123, You?ve got an experimental gaining on you pretty rapidly.

SCENE 2: You just departed the runway and TOWER approved your left turn. As you gain altitude, TOWER calls and says you?ve got a Cessna 3 miles ahead at your 12 o?clock.
You respond: NO PROBLEM, I?ll just go up another 2000 feet.

175 hours and every one a joy. I still can't believe we built this.

yes

Of flying the approach with a citation behind you and he advises the Citaion to slow down to make space for you..so you announce you can speed up to 150Kts on the glide slope.

"citation.Disregard"..:)

Frank

A recent one for me:

"Flight Design 621CT, cleared for take-off, runway 13, full length, 7220 feet available."
"Hey, how many times do you want me to take off? (laugh)"
"Well, we have to say it with the new runway length"
"Ok, 1CT cleared for take-off, runway 13"
(sets flaps at 15 deg for short-field TO, begins take-off, rolls maybe 250 feet before lifting off)
"Don't think we needed the full length"
(2 mic clicks from the tower)

:)

TODR

I have one

Flying into Reno two years ago for the air races they made an MD80 get in line behind me. I was going straight in to the N-S runway from the north, about 8 miles out and was going about 180 knots. The radio talk went something like:

Airliner: US Air flight 1234 8 miles descending through 10,000
Tower: US Air 1234 turn to a heading of 350 descend to 7000
Airliner: We are on our base leg, that would turn us away from the field
Tower: You are number 3 behind an experimental that is going faster than you are.
Airliner: We can speed up.
Tower: Only if you want to be number 15 to land. RV999BT cleared to land runway ...

I laughed for a long time. When I landed the tower complimented my paint job, and welcomed me to the races. How much fun is that?

Don?t you just love it when you hear tower dialogue like:

SCENE 1: You just departed the runway in your RV. You?re following a Piper. In just a few short seconds, TOWER calls and says: PIPER 123, You?ve got an experimental gaining on you pretty rapidly.

It's even better when you hear the sarcastic "I KNOW" coming from the aircraft you're overtaking........

The following is a PHX approach transmission during the relocation of 9DB from SAT to PRC. I was cruising at 10.5k and had just turned the corner over PHX and heard the following:

Piper Arrow ZZZ, traffic at 5 o'clock and 3 miles, an RV9, will pass off to your right -- he is 35 kts faster!!!!!!!!

These are amazing machines!!

Cheers,

db

I had my friend's Glasair III on a test flight after a repair doing orbits over the field with his buddy watching from 15 ft away in his I RG... the call:

Medfly 8, traffic 12 o'clock, 3 miles left-hand over the field a flight of two glasairs, altitude 2500, fast moving.

The reponse:

Traffic in sight, you know Reno is over...

RV ing is good for your health

Thanks for the TOWER replies.

Due to a stent, every year this old man (me) must undergo an intense treadmill test to retain my med. This year, the doc lengthened the test from 9 min to almost 10. He said: "Your conditioning is good so we have to EXTEND THE TEST to achieve the heartbeat rate the FAA requires".

By the end of the test, I was running uphill on that treadmill!

There is NO way I would maintain the exercise & diet regime reqd to pass that annual treadmill w/o the high I get from the 9A.

Now we're building a 6A for Chet and he's older than I am!

Tampa Approach.........

I had just departed Sarasota (IFR), popped out on top @ 2800' when I heard Southwest 1228, traffic 11:00, 6 miles an RV-6A climbing through 3000'. SW 1228: What's that (RV-6A)? Tower: Small single engine homebuilt, faster than ****!

Tommy Walker
N 350 TW, RV-6A
464 hours & "Climbing!"

Piper Arrow ZZZ, traffic at 5 o'clock and 3 miles, an RV9, will pass off to your right -- he is 35 kts faster!!!!!!

I once heard a similar exchange, only a Mooney 201 in place of the Arrow. I was east of Tucson on an airway headed westbound, Mooney at 10K, me at 10.5K. I didn't have a 35 kt overtake, but it was still pretty impressive. As I pulled out in front, I thought about doing a quick aileron roll, but... nah, that's just showing off.

On 9-20-2009, I heard the following on SoCAL approach.

SoCAL: RV 3JP, Reduce speed to 110. I have a Hawker Jet I want to let pass
you.
3JP: slow to 110. RV 3JP.

3JP is an RV-7A with 180 HP CS setup. We were both arriving back to SoCAL from a weekend in Yellowstone.

A few weeks ago desending into KSSF (south of San Antonio) through the KSAT airspace west of that airport. From SAT approach: "RV 2PM slow to 160 kts for spacing, traffic 3 o'clock 5 miles is a 737 turning base to final"

Bob
RV-10 N442PM

Slow

And how about the other end of the speed envelop?

Ever been put in line on final behind a J3 cub?

I know that I have been in my Jodel. No problemo.

...and the other end of the envelope...

"RVxxx your third on downwind behind...correction, make short approach, cleared to land."
We get down just as quick as we get up.

My favorite is simply....

November One Four Four Kilo Tango, Cleared for Takeoff.......

The other day...

Me: "Tower, RV 6DP ready to go 28 right, closed traffic".

Tower: "RV 6DP, what's your speed in the pattern?" [New controller, evidently.]

Me: "Anything from 80 to 160 knots, let me know what you need."

Tower: "Roger, RV 6DP cleared for takeoff 28 right, make right closed traffic..."

Flexibility helps to keep ATC happy! :)

--Paul

A few months back, I was landing at one of the local controlled fields where the controllers recognize my voice and airplane.

Something with a turbine on it was on a straight in approach and the controller cleared me to land if I could expedite from the downwind.

I already had the flaps down, so I accepted the expedited approach, flew a slipping 180 from downwind to final and managed my descent so I touched down about 300' before the first turnoff. There was a slight headwind and with a little brake, I easily made the turnoff. I was probably on the runway for 15 seconds.

All I got from the controller was a chuckle...

when i was bringing the RV-4 down to florida from texas i was just passed mobile at 9500 talking to center. he had a M7 IFR at 9000. he called the M7 with, " you have an experimental at your six oclock 9500 VFR he's got you by 60 knots."

No Speeding Ticket, But . . .

Earlier this year I was fueling my -4 at AUN in northern California. A California Highway Patrol Cessna 208 (they're based at AUN) took off and headed south toward US50, approximately 20 miles away. I finished fueling, taxied to runway 25 and made my call, "4 Romeo Victor taking 25, south departure". Approximately 3 minutes later this: "Uh, RV that just departed Auburn, this is the CHP and we've got you on our fish-finder and you're gaining on us very quickly. It looks like you're above us now, but we just want you to know where we are". I smiled.

It's not everyday the highway patrol lets you know where they are, before you speed by them!

A few months back, I was landing at one of the local controlled fields where the controllers recognize my voice and airplane.

Something with a turbine on it was on a straight in approach and the controller cleared me to land if I could expedite from the downwind.

I already had the flaps down, so I accepted the expedited approach, flew a slipping 180 from downwind to final and managed my descent so I touched down about 300' before the first turnoff. There was a slight headwind and with a little brake, I easily made the turnoff. I was probably on the runway for 15 seconds.

All I got from the controller was a chuckle...

Now THAT's the way to fly! :)

I had something similar when doing the required noise measurements of my Jodel. Fly a pattern at 1200 ft, at a given point hit full throttle and climb to 2000 ft for a measurement, then close the throttle, yank the plane around, descend back to 1200 on downwind, a quick 180 and start another run. The guy on the ground could hardly keep up with me.

I ended up flying over the runway threshold at 1200 ft when I got the word over the radio that he had enough valid measurements. Close the throttle, kick in a massive side slip, land the plane and roll out to a stop at the measurement stand at the end of the 2700 ft runway.... :)

Flying is FUN!!!

Other end

Departing OSH this year in the 172. Another Cessna behind me. An RV-10 behind him.

I depart 36L and make the right turn to 150. I hear them clear the 180 and the RV in sequence behind me.

Still on the depature freq. and about 45 seconds later I hear: Red and white Cessna, overtaking on your right". The 180 "OK. Looking for you."

Another 30 seconds pass. "Blue and white 172, overtaking on your right". Me: "Roger that".

I hold 150 nice and steady. The RV blows by me like a falcon just missing a fat pigeon. Maybe 100 feet. It was very cool.

FF

Cirrus Kill

Departed Greenville (Downtown), SC for Raleigh, NC at 5500ft.

Cirrus: Charlotte Approach - Cirrus XXX out of 6700 for 3000.

Charlotte: Cirrus XXX, level off at 6000. I have an experimental 3 miles in front of you - 5500- same direction - with me.

Charlotte: Cirrus XXX, disregard, experimental is 10 kts faster than you. Descend and maintain 3000.

I just chuckle.

I was on apporach to 20R at PDK, with a Baron on a simultaneous parallel approach to 20L. We were side by side.
Tower: "Baron, say speed"
Baron : "143 Knots"
Me: Already loaded for Baron (pardon the pun), because no matter what the Baron replied with, I was adding one knot. "144 knots"
Tower: "Roger, continue"
Me: just to rub it in some more, "check fuel flows"

And the RV grin continues. :)

Vic

All of my RV buds: Hey Rick, why do you always blow past us like we're standing still :confused:?

Me: Because I can :D!

It was only a matter of time before one of the Rocket guys jumped on this thread....figured I may as well be first :).

All of my RV buds: Hey Rick, why do you always blow past us like we're standing still :confused:?

Me: Because I can :D!

It was only a matter of time before one of the Rocket guys jumped on this thread....figured I may as well be first :).

Heh heh.

Sort of the aviation equivalent of racing driver Mark Donohue's claim that you only have enough power when you can leave black skid marks from the exit of one corner to the entry of the next one - in highest gear?

My first RV traffic grin

I am about half way through my phase one and I heard this yesterday on my way back in (my first RV is fast message). Must admit it made me grin.

"Cessna xxx traffic is at your 11:00,, ahh, never mind you'll never catch the experimental. Traffic is no factor."

We were leaving the Outer Banks..

..of North Carolina a couple of years ago, behind a 182. We had to turn right for a South departure and I purposely kept the same altitude as the 182. Jenny had never been with me passing another airplane and she looked so surprised as we literally blew by him and remarked, "Pierre, it looks like he's backing up!":D

Blue skies,

Once as I lifted off at Pompano Beach, the controller cleared a Bonanza for takeoff on the same runway. The Bonanza pilot asked, "Which direction is that RV headed, 'cuz I don't want to run him over." The controller replied, "He's a northwest departure, and aaah...don't worry...you couldn't catch him if you tried."

On another departure, I did a low transition on departure in the RV4, with a "spirited" climb at the end of the runway. The controller then cleared one of the flight school 172's for takeoff behind me: "Cessna One Yankee Zulu, cleared for takeoff, traffic in the upwind is an F18, no factor."

I had to revive this thread. I really enjoy these fun stories and get lots of building inspiration from them. Any new ones?

The grin never goes away, Colin!

I had to revive this thread. I really enjoy these fun stories and get lots of building inspiration from them. Any new ones?

Glad you enjoyed, Colin. The reason I started the thread was out of pride more than to brag, but here's a more recent event that's guaranteed to bring a smile. Departing KRYN, I turned north following a 172. It became evident I would overtake him pretty quickly and so I made the appropriate call. TWR said to pass on the right to which I responded: "No problem, I'll also climb 2,000 feet and go over him".

I have no doubt that there are many RVs much faster than mine, but being able to navigate away from problems is very comforting.

Having spent the vast majority of my flying in 172's, I'm really looking forward to something with speed! Thanks for the stories!

Recently heard @ KDVT

Contacting tower at the standard reporting point (shooting range) we had 3 aircraft within 1/2 mile all headed inbound and converging.
KDVT : N519PJ you've got traffic 1/4 mi directly off your right wing, same altitude, same direction.
After Visually locating the traffic off our right wingtip. I bumped the throttle in order to create some spacing.
N519PJ: Traffic in sight, opps now we've lost them.
KDVT: N519PJ, be careful, you'll scare someone doing that!

Taking off from Eau Claire, Wisconsin, a 900' agl towered, but no radar airport, the controllers ask you to advise when leaving Class D (if they only knew how that baited us...). So, a favorite of mine in the winter, when cht's are not the limiting factor, is to haul back on the stick and put 90 knots on the ASI. "Eau Claire tower, RV 66AP 1.5 miles west, 3500' and climbing, clear of class D". Sometimes a awkward pause occurs before the tower calls back "Uh, RV 66AP, uh, no known traffic, see ya later".

These are priceless!

KDVT: N519PJ, be careful, you'll scare someone doing that!

?Eau Claire tower, RV 66AP 1.5 miles west, 3500' and climbing, clear of class D"

And to think, we build these things in our garage, basements, and backyards! After every trip, the word that comes to mind most often is ?unbelievable?.

Taking off from Eau Claire, Wisconsin, a 900' agl towered, but no radar airport, the controllers ask you to advise when leaving Class D (if they only knew how that baited us...). So, a favorite of mine in the winter, when cht's are not the limiting factor, is to haul back on the stick and put 90 knots on the ASI. "Eau Claire tower, RV 66AP 1.5 miles west, 3500' and climbing, clear of class D". Sometimes a awkward pause occurs before the tower calls back "Uh, RV 66AP, uh, no known traffic, see ya later".

Yep, we often state: "Georgetown Tower, RV 22C is clear above." and promptly get "RV 22C, frequency change approved, see ya' later."

Tower exchange

I was making a short trip for parts for our flying club and was still in Class D airspace. Tower calls and says "Cardinal 828, traffic at your 11 o'clock is a National Guard helicopter 1 mile."

"Negative contact, we are looking."

"Cardinal 828, be advised Guard helo is armed."

"Understood."

When I neared my home airport I called "Tower, Cardinal 828, have field in sight, no friendly fire. Request frequency change."

Tower came back with "(Raucous laughter in the background) Yeah, whatever."

Here's mine

I was approaching TUS from the N-NE and was advised to slow 20 knots for spacing. About a minute later "Slow another 20 knots for spacing". When on the downwind I caught sight of him on base; a twin! No, not an AirCam, it was a Piper. Too kewl!

RV on two mile final...

Heard on CTAF at Arlington this morning...

RV Flight: RV flight of two is on two mile final - runway 16.

Cessna: RV flight, this is Cessna on downwind. (location is midfield downwind). State your position. I don't have you in sight and I'm extending my downwind for spacing.

RV Flight: (responding to Cessna) RV flight of two is on one mile final - runway 16.

Cessna: Still don't have you in sight. I'll extend my downwind for spacing. Are you sure you're on final for Arlington Runway 16? (by this time the Cessna is about 1/4 mile past the numbers)

RV Flight: (responding to Cessna) RV flight of two is down and clear of runway 16.

Cessna: Oh, I didn't realize that you were so fast...:eek: Cessna turning base...

The RV grin never goes away!!

Approaching KGYR, 4 mile base entry, very busy pattern, maybe 7 or 8 planes all over the place.

TWR: 7BD, what kind of experimental is that?

7BD: RV9A, a fast one.

TWR: Ok, 7BD you're cleared to land (ahead of everyone else. TWR suggested something like dogleg towards the runway)

7BD: Cleared to land, I'll be out of your way very quickly. Thank you sir!

KGYR has an 8000' runway so I floated 30 feet off for the first 3,000 feet, set it down, and exited at the next turnoff.

The rest of the day I found myself smiling and muttering: UNBELIEVABLE!

pnp mission

asheville tower: cessna (on downwind) keep it in tight, there's an experimental on an 8 mile final and he's fast.

how can we not gloat a bit. . . .

Back