What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Doug Bell Tailwheel

Got this response last week from them:

My father does make a fork that is a retro fit to Van?s original fork. It provides better ground clearance and less chance of damage due to the standard fork getting caught in a dip, hole, runway edge, etc?
Dad is still making them but is still trying to fill orders from his original order list. He should be caught up by Early summer. As of May last yr he held off on taking new orders. At 81 he wants to fill all current orders and not promise things out too far.
I am saving all email inquiries since then and will contact you back when he starts up again.
I hope you understand and I will be in touch.
Doug jr.
RV8
Manistee MI

Current cost is $195

A very good analysis was done by Dan Checkoway on his website

Yep, they're still making them. I got mine back on Jan. 2nd or 3rd...

1-5-08-009w.jpg

It was about a year from my initial order to delivery, but I did ask to go to the bottom of the list back in April '07 or so. Order early, and they'll get it to you.

The Bell's are on here from time to time as well, so you'll more than likely hear straight from them. Emails response time is slow, but Jr. will get back to you...:)

Bell Tail Wheel Update for all

Fellow flyers and builders,
Dad is still here and still at it but we did hit a small snag. After getting excited again and making 36 forks this November...all were sent out except a few by a few days prior to Christmas. On Christmas Eve morning Dad had a small stroke...he caught it early and after a trip to the hospital in the lighted vehicle and a few hours of tests...he returned home. A few weeks later the doc told him to get out iof the office nad come back in 6 months for a few more tests...so other than telling me he's tired...he's doing ok. I am sure he is about to fire up again and get back to it.

He has alwasy wanted to get forks to flyers first and builders second. I honor his thought process and do it this way but it makes it difficult to get forks to guys right on time. In no way does he or I want to make someone feel like they are overlooked. As soon as he informs me he has another batch close...I pull the list and start from the beginning getting updates on construction.

I have suprised a few builders with calls right before their flights....so not all is bad in this process.

We have contracted some help locally with a machine shop owned by a good friend and fellow pilot. Dad like his work and actually he was involved in the 36 forks that were completed in Nov. and Dec. Dad was actullay going to set up some more tooling to make things go faster right when the stroke slowed him a little. I hope this will allow us to complete the original list soon and move on to the second group of inquiries since dad put orders on hold. I have saved them all and will create a second order group.

I wish all the calls and emails could be handled right away and I apologize to those who get messages from me a few days or weeks after you send them but I will get to you all.

I was just in Florida for our golf course winter meetings and I returned with another dozen requests for info...I will get to all of you. I hope to catch up this weekend with responses.

lastly....for those who have commented back on dad's fork with notes to him, I thank you. he isn't getting rich with this process and at times he says he done...then he gets a note from a customer and really feels good about helping solve a small trouble area for you all. So thanks for hte notes and as always...he likes to solve problems so if someone does not liketh e product or it does not work with your setup...let me know and I will forward it to dad.

Best contact is my work email as I rarely check the forum emails...
[email protected]

Thanks everyone,

PS...Chad, that fork will be too big for the model :D

Fellow flyers and builders,
Dad is still here and still at it but we did hit a small snag. After getting excited again and making 36 forks this November...all were sent out except a few by a few days prior to Christmas. On Christmas Eve morning Dad had a small stroke...he caught it early and after a trip to the hospital in the lighted vehicle and a few hours of tests...he returned home. A few weeks later the doc told him to get out iof the office nad come back in 6 months for a few more tests...so other than telling me he's tired...he's doing ok. I am sure he is about to fire up again and get back to it.
:D

Doug, thanks for the update on your Dad and so glad to hear he is still in reasonably good health.

Man....I hope I'm still able to be a productive part of an enthusiast community when I'm in my 80's....we all should be so fortunate!

I am completely pleased with the Bell fork on my RV-6. Those of you on the list, hang in there, you will receive a first-class upgrade.

Me too

I hate these "me too" posts but I am tickled to death with the quality of my Bell tailwheel. I am certain Vince makes a fine replacement wheel also. The only reason I post this is to comment further; it is a true plug and play replacement, and I am using the Rocket linkage.

thanks

Sam and Dana...thanks for the comments. I will make sure Dad reads them.
Maybe well get to see your forks in action this year at a flyin somewhere....its about time my 8 flys somewhere other than Michigan and Osh.
DOug jr.

Unable to contact

Does anyone know if the two Dougs are ok? They asked me to contact them back regarding my order and I have been unable to get a response for a month or so.

Tailwheel update

Sorry for such lon delays in response guys....I have been on the road for what seems like months and when back in town work has me buried.
I owe several of you emails and will get you a response soon.

THe worst part of helping Dad wth these tailwheels is not being able to tell all of you a definite timetable for your delivery. I have been working with Dad and a few machine shops in town to help him put out more forks faster.
Dad agreed to the assistance and he has 250 forks underway now. I believe that we will be shipping many forks and filling many orders very soon.
I will be getting an update tomorrow and will post here in the forums.

I will also reply to a months worth of emails.....sorry guys.
Dad and I appreciate your patience.
Sincerley,
Doug Bell Jr.

It?s good to hear that you and your dad are doing OK! I?ve got a ways to go before I?d like to get my hands on one of your tail wheel forks, I just want to make sure I?m on the list. I?ll send you an email to your work address.

Best wishes to your dad,

Placing New Order

Doug...... Glad to hear your dad is doing better. Are you accepting new orders? I have a long ways to go yet, but definatly want your famous tail wheels.

Vince, maybe if you're interested in selling your tailwheel, you should start your own thread?

Kinda looks like you barged into a Chevy dealership trying to sell your Ford products.

Maybe I'm just misreading your intentions and if that's the case, I apologize.

Scott

Wilkie,

I'm not trying to step on any toes. Sorry if you took it that way.

I've been building RVs and Rockets since 1987, but I try to stay low key.

Doug makes a fine product, but so do I. IMHO, everyone should have either his or mine on their taildraggin' RV.

I have started my own thread in the past. Anyone searching could find it if they want to. For me to continually post new threads would look a lot like spam and not gain me any friends. I don't care to do that, so I'll simply reply whenever there is someone who seems to be looking for a tailwheel. After that it's up to them.

Vince

I, for one, appreciated Vince's participation. I, too, was interested in buying one of Doug's tailwheels. Unfortunately, the delivery outlook was unacceptable to me. Vince had posted a reply to an earlier post; I bought one of his tailwheels and have been happy ever since.

Me too

Vince,
I too appreciate you posting on this thread, I had no idea there were options beyond the Bell tailwheel.
Looks like good stuff from a couple of different great RVators!

Bell thoughts on Vince's tailwheel fork

Guys,
I read the last couple posts and want to say that Vince emailed Dad and I privately quite awhile ago to introduce himself via email and say that he meant no harm and was not trying to take business away from Dad's sales, he actually was developing his own idea when he saw our fork ( or he already had )
Vince's product looks nice and certainly serves the same basic purpose. There is room for choice for sure.

Anyway, as I have expressed for Dad before. He never thought this little fork he makes would create such demand. He is very happy to make something that seems to help so many of you who have used it or experienced a need for its improvements. It is a struggle on my end as I wish I could get everyone who emails or calls me a fork right away. With many talks this winter I did convince Pops to allow some help from a friend, machine shop owner and future RV owner. Dad now has 250 posts finished and is about to accept all the forks.
Speaking to him tonight he has about 30 that are soon to ship and more right behind that.
I will be contacting everyone who has an order on file from the original list to update you or ask for an update from you on your build status.
I have begun assembling a second order list of everyone who has emailed me since Dad out orders on hold April of 2007.
I can tell you that I am working on it as much as I can and I look forward to shipping as fast as we can.
Dad and I really appreciate the kind comments many of you have sent us about the fork and his health. This is really a small, large RV community and we're happy to able to help you all.
I do not post very often and have always been a list lurker. I enjoy all of your knowledge base and look forward to the many posts and the education I glean from the vast experience of so many of you fellow builders and flyers.
Thanks again and we'll be emailing you all over the next week...
Doug

Still Making Tail Wheel Forks?

Anyone hear from Doug Bell or Sr. lately? Good friend of mine in Belgium is building and saw mine and wanted one. Sent him the e-mail address that I had when ordering mine but he said he recieved no response?
Someone know how I can get a hold of him or see if they are still accepting orders?

TIA,

Bruce Gray
RV8 Fuse

Bruce's friend

Bruce,
I am cought up on all emails through Monday.
I have spent the better part of three days contacting 20 folks on the order list that had forks shipped out today and a few tomorrow
Starting another batch soon.
Can you give me your friends name and email...I will contact him tomorrow
Thanks
Doug

Back