- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-30-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKintzle View Post
Steve,
Beautiful work and green buttons for the right side are a nice touch (red on the left side?).

Question I had is how you're permanently attaching the gray plastic rear piece to the flap hinge? I see it is currently attached with what looks like painters tape.
Great job!
yes, I am thinking red for the left side but they are currently grey on my install. the pieces are small and easily confused so different colors are the way to go. the aft fairing piece has been attached with 1/4 inch vinyl tape but for the final install I was thinking about a dab of Goop adhesive. It will not require much glue to secure these. these are printed as a 6-pack. 0.010 inch sacrificial material is added to the lower side to be filed away after final install for a smooth surface.

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 12-30-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:27 PM

Instead of the snap-in covers (that still leave the head & nut exposed), would it be possible to make the teardrop in two halves that snap onto/over retaining '****' printed on the blade? Should be possible to get a pure streamline shape, with no interruptions on the surface. Pop them off for access to the bolt.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
Instead of the snap-in covers (that still leave the head & nut exposed), would it be possible to make the teardrop in two halves that snap onto/over retaining '****' printed on the blade? Should be possible to get a pure streamline shape, with no interruptions on the surface. Pop them off for access to the bolt.
Well, I suppose anything is possible. I opted for the smallest profile and I wanted to be able to see the bolt and cotter pin is installed. The buttons are almost a perfectly smooth fit. During my pre-flight I typically run my finger over the flap bracket to verify the bolt and cotter pin is in place. I can still do that with this config.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:39 PM

Default Shirt hanger

kicking around a concept for a shirt hanger for the tip up canopy folks that have a wall stud style sheet metal channel over the baggage compartment. a couple of large loose fit pins used as guides between the upper and lower.

just a concept, don't need the tangs on the lower piece and they need to be reworked on the top... but could probably be extended for a tie. <smile>

fiberglass shoulder eyebolt

total weight = .25 lb.

Last edited by Steve Melton : 12-31-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:30 AM

Default shirt hanger mount

proto1. pins are secured to the upper clamp and hang downwards to guide the lower clamp. the pins are loose fit to the bottom clamp for ease. a shoulder eyebolt is needed. looking for a low cost solution. maybe a fully threaded 1/4 inch eyebolt with a nut at the full thread position? weight reduced, now 0.19 lb total.

Last edited by Steve Melton : 01-01-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
I went with a top-mount for my spools. It reduces stress on the filament into the extruded.

BTW: where do you source jumbo spools of filament?
Old 01-01-2018, 08:46 AM

amazon has the large spools for some brands. the one in the photo = 5kg.

it's nice to be able to print a mount and get exactly what you want. don't need to buy from China anymore for these simple things and you don't have to wait for it to ship.... and it's less expensive. what's not to like?

Last edited by Steve Melton : 01-01-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
nice to be able to print a mount and get exactly what you want.
Agreed. I built my top mount from wood as it was faster than printing

Iím trying to standardize most of my projects on a single material but thatís not happening very well. Even with a heated enclosure, large ABS prints (at the extents of the TAZ6 build volume) with significant flat surfaces and walls are warping or cracking. Iím looking at HIPS for some prints and PLA for non-environmentally critical projects. I still like ABS when it matches the design parameters.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptybump View Post
Agreed. I built my top mount from wood as it was faster than printing

Iím looking at HIPS for some prints and PLA for non-environmentally critical projects. I still like ABS when it matches the design parameters.
the large spool mount is PLA. I agree with you for the material selections.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:17 PM

Default shirt hanger mount

proto1 ready for install check. total weight = 0.15 lb

Last edited by Steve Melton : 01-02-2018 at 09:56 PM.