VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Propellers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you use on your airplane?
a short (3” or less) prop spacer 5 25.00%
a short (3” or less) prop extension 6 30.00%
a long (more than 3”) prop spacer 1 5.00%
a long (more than 3”) prop extension 8 40.00%
something else (if that’s possible) 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-30-2017, 10:48 AM
humptybump's Avatar
humptybump humptybump is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Eastern Shore of Virginia
Posts: 3,018
Default Prop Hub or Prop Extension - survey

I was recently told that the long bolts required for using a 2-1/4” propeller spacer were getting hard to purchase and there are advantages to a using a prop extension. (I had no problem with a recent order of new bolds from Vans Aircraft.)

Thought I’d do two things to help those in the process of building or modifying their airplane.

First, do a quick survey. Second, give contributors an opportunity to post their opinion/experience on the subject.
__________________
- Glen, ESVA
RV-8 FP IFR | Track my RV-8 | 53VG

Last edited by humptybump : 11-30-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-30-2017, 10:59 AM
humptybump's Avatar
humptybump humptybump is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Eastern Shore of Virginia
Posts: 3,018
Default

Oops.

If a moderator could correct the title please. It should read:

“Prop Spacer or Prop Extension - Survey”

This will help current and future readers and searches.

Thanks.
__________________
- Glen, ESVA
RV-8 FP IFR | Track my RV-8 | 53VG
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-30-2017, 12:00 PM
Raymo's Avatar
Raymo Raymo is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Richmond Hill, GA (KLHW)
Posts: 1,608
Default

Using the James long cowl required a 4" extension from Saber, who also supplied the bolts. This extension does not require super long bolts. The extension bolts to the flange and the prop to the extension.
__________________
Ray
RV-7A - Slider - N495KL - First flt 27 Jan 17
O-360-A4M w/ Catto 3 blade NLE, AFP FM-150 FI, 1 PMag, Vetterman Trombone Exh, SkyTech starter,
PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-30-2017, 09:33 PM
rvbuilder2002 rvbuilder2002 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hubbard Oregon
Posts: 7,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptybump View Post
I was recently told that the long bolts required for using a 2-1/4” propeller spacer were getting hard to purchase and there are advantages to a using a prop extension.
Who recently told you that?

I have not heard about any difficulties.

If it were true, it would pretty much put Sensenich out the metal RV prop business because there attachment is designed around the use of long bolts.

Also, I see a negative value in using a hub style if installing a wood/composite prop. With the lighter propellers, also using a lighter extension/hub can be a detriment in regards to aircraft utility because of the negative influence on C.G. position.
__________________
Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-01-2017, 08:31 PM
maus92 maus92 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Annapolis MD
Posts: 357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Who recently told you that?

I have not heard about any difficulties.

If it were true, it would pretty much put Sensenich out the metal RV prop business because there attachment is designed around the use of long bolts.

Also, I see a negative value in using a hub style if installing a wood/composite prop. With the lighter propellers, also using a lighter extension/hub can be a detriment in regards to aircraft utility because of the negative influence on C.G. position.
I had to replace 3 prop bolts recently. I tried to buy them from Saber (because they were significantly cheaper,) but they were having difficulty getting the proper length from their supplier. I ended up buying them from Sensenich.
__________________
CA
2000 RV-8A | O-360, FP, G3X Touch, VP-X, EarthX
Eastern Shore | KESN
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-02-2017, 08:45 PM
1bigdog 1bigdog is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Markham, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 141
Default prop extension, from the source

Vans was very clear on this topic when I asked them very recently, as I was placing a Catto prop on an IO-320 on their cowl:

"Regardless of the engine/cowling combination the propeller extention for a fixed pitch prop will be the same 2.25"

Cheers.
__________________
Michael B.
C-FWMB (reserved)
College Fund Contributor
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-02-2017, 09:08 PM
Mel's Avatar
Mel Mel is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas area
Posts: 9,856
Default Not Quite all...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigdog View Post
Vans was very clear on this topic when I asked them very recently, as I was placing a Catto prop on an IO-320 on their cowl:
"Regardless of the engine/cowling combination the propeller extention for a fixed pitch prop will be the same 2.25"
Cheers.
Fixed pitch cowlings supplied before the mid '90s all used a 4" extension.
__________________
Mel Asberry..DAR since last century
A&P/EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Specializing in Amateur-Built and Light-Sport Aircraft
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-04-2017, 07:21 AM
Robert Anglin Robert Anglin is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: houston, texas
Posts: 786
Default No problem.

We have found no problem in getting parts. We use a 2 1/4" spacer for a Prince prop. We did buy the spacer and bolts from Saber for both the spacer to engine and the prop to spacer make-up. Van's had them as well, but we just did the old one stop shopping thing to save on shipping at the time.
Hope this helps your question. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-04-2017, 09:36 AM
humptybump's Avatar
humptybump humptybump is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Eastern Shore of Virginia
Posts: 3,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Anglin View Post
We have found no problem in getting parts. We use a 2 1/4" spacer for a Prince prop. We did buy the spacer and bolts from Saber for both the spacer to engine and the prop to spacer make-up.
If you have one set of bolts connecting an aluminum section to the engine flange and then a separate set of bolts from the aluminum section to the propeller, this is what I was calling an “extension”.

The spacer has thru-holes and requires bolts long enough to pass through the crush plate, propeller, spacer, and thread into the engine flange. For a 2-1/4” spacer, these bolts are typically more than 8” long.
__________________
- Glen, ESVA
RV-8 FP IFR | Track my RV-8 | 53VG
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-05-2017, 07:03 AM
Robert Anglin Robert Anglin is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: houston, texas
Posts: 786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptybump View Post
If you have one set of bolts connecting an aluminum section to the engine flange and then a separate set of bolts from the aluminum section to the propeller, this is what I was calling an “extension”.

The spacer has thru-holes and requires bolts long enough to pass through the crush plate, propeller, spacer, and thread into the engine flange. For a 2-1/4” spacer, these bolts are typically more than 8” long.
Glen, when you put a 3 1/2'" thick wood prop, a 3/4" crush-plate, spinner bulkheads, and washers into the stack-up, the bolts or long as you ask.
I would have to size them again after all these years, but they are at least 7-8 inches long. Thanks for you clearing up what an extension is.
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:01 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.