What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTR 200 Volume?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
At what volume do you guys have your GTR200 set at in normal flight?

I have mine at 80%ish and I feel that's a bit high. I know my hearing isn't bad but jeez...

Should it be lower?

Thanks,
D

GTR 200

I have a GTR 200 in my RV-4, I. Usually end up setting it about 60% volume.

What I haven't figured out is how to make this the default power on setting. Each time I power up the radio it comes on at a very low volume setting. I have embarrassed myself calling ground control a couple times with no response until I figured out the radio volume is too low. They were professional about it but not very pleased with my radio discipline. I have since made it a habit of setting volume before I talk after startup.

Any way to set this?

I have a GTR 200 in my RV-4, I. Usually end up setting it about 60% volume.

What I haven't figured out is how to make this the default power on setting. Each time I power up the radio it comes on at a very low volume setting. I have embarrassed myself calling ground control a couple times with no response until I figured out the radio volume is too low. They were professional about it but not very pleased with my radio discipline. I have since made it a habit of setting volume before I talk after startup.

Any way to set this?

Hello Oly,

As you probably know, the GTR 200 has a single knob that controls volume, and when turned fully counter-clockwise, turns off the unit.

Pushing this knob also opens squelch, which can be a good way of setting the volume (while listening to the hiss) to know you will hear the tower when they respond. Just push the volume knob, adjust the volume, and push it again to re-enable squelch before you make your first radio call.

Alternately, you could do what I do which is to always turn the GTR 200 power on/off with the avionics bus. Since I never turn my GTR 200 off with the volume knob, it always powers up with the radio volume set where I left it last and is ready to go.

Thanks,
Steve

g3xpert,

Can you shed some light on how high/low the standard is for the radio volume? Is there a way to increase volume somehow (aside from the usual turn the knob). For instance, is there a internal setting that can increase the unit volume on all bands?

Can you assist with my original question at the top of the post?

Thanks,
D

At what volume do you guys have your GTR200 set at in normal flight?

I have mine at 80%ish and I feel that's a bit high. I know my hearing isn't bad but jeez...

Should it be lower?

Thanks,
D

So In my RV-8 I run the GTR200 main volume about 50% most of the time +/- a little depending on the station. I am using original Lightspeed Zulu headsets with that setup.

Maybe check your headsets if they have local volume controls, or if something's not right with them, or the wiring to the headsets. In the setup menus there's a test mode you can enable that will send a tone to each ear of the headsets as a test, maybe try that and see how it sounds. (look in the setup manual for how to enable this mode)

Unless your plane is very loud, or you have bad headsets, you should not need to run a 80%+ to hear normal radio audio.

GTR 200 volume

Steve,

Great idea, hadn?t thought of that. I?ll just leave the radio on from now on and let it shut off with the avionics master.

Thanks

g3xpert,

Can you shed some light on how high/low the standard is for the radio volume? Is there a way to increase volume somehow (aside from the usual turn the knob). For instance, is there a internal setting that can increase the unit volume on all bands?

Can you assist with my original question at the top of the post?

Thanks,
D

Hello dmat,

The radio volume someone needs depends upon many factors including hearing, cockpit noise level, headset (ANR versus non-ANR), headset fit, headset volume knob setting, audio panel (if used), and much more.

I always set the volume controls on my headset to max, and adjust the intercom and radio volume to what works with that headset volume setting. The only time I change the headset volume is if I need to increase the radio volume for the passenger/copilot and then decrease my headset volume to work well with that increased radio volume.

It would be hard for anyone to tell you if using 80% volume is unusually high or "not normal". In general, if you like the radio volume set that high, that is all you need to know.

There is no other way to increase the COM radio volume other than the power/volume knob. If you use the GTR 200 intercom, you know that intercom volume is set under Menu, ICS volume.

I know for a fact that my ANR headset has very little passive attenuation, and if the battery runs down, I have to turn the COM radio volume way up to understand what is being received. Just another example that COM radio volume is set as high as you need it to be depending on the circumstances.

One thing to check is your headset configuration. We hear from customers all the time who wired their headset jacks for stereo headsets, but inadvertently try to use headsets with the mono/stereo switch in the mono position, and that can negatively impact how the radio sounds.

Hopefully this answers your questions.

Thanks,
Steve

I use the GTR200 with the internal intercom. I usually run the radio volume at 95% to get it to match the volume of the intercom. Maybe I should check the setting of the intercom volume...

I set mine about 65%. That works with my Lightspeed Zulu, Headsets Inc. equipped Alpha helmet, and passive David Clark 10-13.4.

I also do as Steve does and slide the volume on my Lightspeed Zulu 2 to max and adjust the volume with the knob on the GTR-200. I keep it around 60% and it works great.

Love the GTR-200 and the built in intercom. :D

Back