What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine isolator

dick seiders

Well Known Member
In the process of Confition Inspection and in checking all undone SBs, safety alerts, and Notifications I find I can't find the required (number BC-22002) engine isolators with numbers so I may have to pull my engine to meet the requirements of 16-08-10. Not a pleasant discovery.

My serial no. 120093 is obviously one of the early birds. My question is has anyone else had to make this change?
Dick Seiders

In the process of Confition Inspection and in checking all undone SBs, safety alerts, and Notifications I find I can't find the required (number BC-22002) engine isolators with numbers so I may have to pull my engine to meet the requirements of 16-08-10. Not a pleasant discovery.

My serial no. 120093 is obviously one of the early birds. My question is has anyone else had to make this change?
Dick Seiders

Didn't have to do it; but several have, stating isn't really that bad. Rent a engine hoist...do top ones first (loosen bottom ones and pivot engine down enough to pull top ones)...bottoms a reverse of tops.

I like the idea but wasn't sure I could get enough movement without disconnecting most components. If some have used that approach I feel more confident about giving it a shot. Thanks for the feedback.
Dick Seiders

I had to do mine. The only thing that I took off was the cowling, 2 air filters, and the tunnel harness cover. Then, I hooked up my little hoist and put a little lift tension on the engine. I actually loosened all 4 nuts way off to give a little wiggle room. I took the nuts off 2 at a time and aligned the lift to ensure free bolts, then my daughter swapped the mounts while I swung the engine as required. You only need about 3/8" to clear the mount cups. All total, about 2 1/2 hrs, including taking out the carpet and removing the tunnel harness cover. Don't over think it. It's not a big deal..............Tom

Double check

Before you do the replacement look VERY CAREFULLY. I took a second look with a bright light and clean glasses and found the numbers faintly along the edge of the washer.

Before you do the replacement look VERY CAREFULLY. I took a second look with a bright light and clean glasses and found the numbers faintly along the edge of the washer.
Amen to that. I finally found the letters the third time I looked, with a bright LED light and a mirror. The very tops of the letters were just visible at the edge of the metal cup.

Thanks for the input I tried to look the letters on it it just would t work. Will change them this week after Irma leaves.
Dick Seiders

2nd look

I had to look twice also.
Finally saw the lettering on all of them. In some cases you can't see the lettering straight-on but it reveals itself "in shadow" of the light at an angle.
Also, a careful re-read of the bulletin stated that you will find the lettering on only 1/2 of each pair. Big relief, I was looking for it on both.

I just swapped mine out. Wifey and I were planning a flight to Belfast, Maine for the third annual rv fly in and I thought since I had the cowl off to look it over, why not swap them out. Took about 2 hours total. Come on up to Belfast, the wx is beautiful!

Tod
Did you remove two top bolts at same time or top and bottom on one side, and does it make any difference? I have the keys out and will switch them out tomorrow.
Thanks
Dick Seiders

Did the switch and as Tod stated it's about a 2and 1/2 hr job. One thing is certain you can have the numbered isolators and not see numbers until old set is removed.
Dick Seiders

Back