What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing retention bushings

dick seiders

Well Known Member
Has anyone had to replace a bushing on the fuselage yet and if so how did you get it done? One of mine failed the no go test. Appreciate feedback.
Dick Seiders

Wing bushing

Dick, I am willing to help by making a press to remove and reinstall the bad bushing. Which one is it? If you're interested, call me at seven seven zero eight fore tree niner too too fore. I could probably have something done Monday and would be glad to fly down and put it to the test. No charge!

DBRuth, thanks for the very thoughtful offer. I have already removed the bushing. I definitely do not reccomend the block and hammer. I am certain the bushings are pressed into the sub assemblies and the fit is tight. I with the help of a friend with the necessary equipment made up some tools the press the bushings in or out. That avoids any damage doing by using the hammer. I appreciated the first response I just don't feel hammers should be used on airplanes at least not by me. If any are interested I'll ask a friend to post pictures of the easy to make tools. Thank you both for responding.
Dick Seiders

Has anyone had to replace a bushing on the fuselage yet and if so how did you get it done? One of mine failed the no go test. Appreciate feedback.
Dick Seiders

I'm curious, how many wing removal/reinstall cycles did you have on those bushings? Or is this wear that can occur while the wings are on?
Thx, glad your fixed and I would be interesting in the pictures of the tool you used.

FWIW, this is the first time I have heard of a RV-12 bushing not passing the go/no-go check.
I don't think it would be the cause of installation / removal cycles. The original prototype has lots of cycles and the bushings still pass the check.

Re "passing the go/no-go check".

Is this the preflight "Wing Handhold - check no free movement"?

The gauge comes in one of the kits, looks like this:

MM p. 3-13
i-ns9FNjv-L.png

Go no go pin supplied with engine.
I have pulled wings 6 to 8 x
The new bushing checked out ok.
Only outside of failed bushing allowed no go pin
Made tools to help with tite failed pins. Works fine will send pics.
Placed new bushingi dry ice 15 min and it slid right in. Became tite after warming up.
Dick Seiders

Last edited:
Dick's bushing tools

Here are the pictures of the tools that Seiders made:

i-xN8VSJq.jpg

i-xM7gjwL.jpg

Last edited:
Tony thanks for posting the

If any questions about tool just ask. Sooner or later you might find you need them.
Dick Seiders

Tony thanks for posting the pictures.

If anyone has questions just ask.
You might find you need these sometime.
Dick Seiders

Back