What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 496

dick seiders

Well Known Member
If approaching an airport the gps id's it on screen at bottom. If nearing class b or other airspace will it not override the airport sign momentarily? Also if using audio for warning beeper (chime) by directing audio to speaker and line out on gps sound page will chime sound if you are approaching airspace ?
Any help appreciTed.
Dick seiders

go into the settings and tell it what you want it to do. then go out and check out the settings. what i hated the most of the audio warnings was pull up pull up. :)
the 496 is a great unit. i don't use the audio but see the visual warnings.

Doesn't seem that simple to me. I have learned that I can make the lower message such as arriving at airport go away by pushing enter. also learned that Audio will disappear with any incoming radio transmission of course. I prefer the audio as as I don't want to be staring at the GPS for messages. The audio with a chime means I need look only at that time . I need to do flight testing to determine if the audio produces a chime when the class B etc warning appears.
This is the primary objective and if I succeed Will let you know.
Dick seiders

Cannot get an audio alert on airspace.
The really confusing issue are the 496 instructions on page 106 of the manual under Alarms Tab. The instructions outline how to get what I want from the gps, but fail to do the job when the instructions are followed. What am I missing here?
Dick Seiders

Cannot get an audio alert on airspace.
The really confusing issue are the 496 instructions on page 106 of the manual under Alarms Tab. The instructions outline how to get what I want from the gps, but fail to do the job when the instructions are followed. What am I missing here?
Dick Seiders

Dick, the only thing I can think of is that you will not get any Garmin 496 audio alarms if the intercom switch is in the "isolate" position. That said, I cannot recall ever getting an airspace audio alarm on mine. I do get the other audio warnings like "terrain" and the visual alarm bar at the bottom of the GPS screen say "Class B ahead" and that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Page 106 says the alarm message appears on the screen and the unit emits five (5) beeps. I have never heard any alarm beeps in the headsets but there may be an internal beeper where the sound comes from the unit itself. We would never hear that over the noise of the airplane though. I do get the visual warnings and the two are supposed to act together. I guess I can't answer the question.

I can't either, Tony, but the unit does beep ( and you can hear it) just before b. Betty says 500 feet so I want to find why it doesn't when following the manual's instructions for other alerts. Maybe someone out there knows. I called Garmin help and came away with two thoughts and they are Garmin isn 't real interested in the 496 anymore x2. Just think how much greater help the 496 would be if it did what the manual says it should do?
Dick Seiders

Yes I did and am working with both. Page 106 is the intriguing one as it says yeah, you can do the beeper associated with the alarms thru the audio feature and then fails to let you do it. That doesn't make any sense. There must be a rational answer, bout what is it ?
DickSeiders

I already tried Garmin and received NO help. but maybe I was speaking to the wrong helper, and will try again.
Dick Seiders

496 help

Tried again this am with latest manual,,,etc and again no help. The problem is the unit won't do what the manual states and the response is inadequate inthat the help tech who will tell you you cannot get an audio alarm for the various warnings offered cannot provide an explanation why the 500 ft alarm does exactly that. I was very patient, but the obvious lack of interest in discussing the 496 is very evident.
I suggested that in future designs of their gear that audio alarms thru the headset would enhance flying safety and they might want to consider that.
Dick Seiders

Curious, I have had both 396 and 496 now, both started alarming about terrain, terrain, pull up, pull up....on final.....
Kind of annoying. And yes, it is at the flight planned destination.
Didn't always do this, just recently...

Back