What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Grin

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
A friend of mine was visiting from Japan this week and I got to take him flying yesterday evening. The photos say it all. He kept saying "sugoi" which roughly translates into amazing or terrific.

He's worked at an FBO in Japan and for Toyota and now Denso near Nagoya so he appreciates airplanes and things mechanical.

They don't have anything like Experimentals in Japan. He was so impressed that we are allowed to build and fly our own aircraft over here. Yes, we are very lucky indeed to have this freedom.

They don't have anything like Experimentals in Japan. He was so impressed that we are allowed to build and fly our own aircraft over here. Yes, we are very lucky indeed to have this freedom.

Or they are very unlucky to not have the govt recognize what should be an obvious right.

Or they are very unlucky to not have the govt recognize what should be an obvious right.

You legally can do it, but someone published the Japanese government regs and requirements last year and they were so convoluted, onerous and complicated, no sane person could ever comply and I guess that's what the Feds there want.

I recall when Peter Garrison landed Melmoth in Japan back in the '70s, the officials didn't know what to do with a light aircraft coming in from outside Japan and especially when the found out that he built it. It was tied up with red tape for a long time before he could fly out again.

Hudson River flight at 1000ft.

Yes very privileged we are indeed to be able to fly our home built airplanes here in North America. In Europe it is a struggle to get one approved to fly VFR and totally illegal to fly IFR.

How about a flight down the Hudson River at 1000ft and circle to stature of Liberty which I did in my RV-10

P1030364-L.jpg

You legally can do it, but someone published the Japanese government regs and requirements last year and they were so convoluted, onerous and complicated, no sane person could ever comply and I guess that's what the Feds there want.

Have known one Japanese homebuilder. Built an autogyro back in the 80s. Can't speak to his sanity (lots of folks question mine). It can be done.

Looked at the regs once, I remember something like no flight over 10m AGL for the first 40 hours.

RV6 guy in LA , I will be in Nagoya at Denso this month

Hi Ross
I have a RV6 I built in LA (10 years flying ! )
I Will be in Nagoya at Denso this month 9-25 , perhaps I can see your buddy I have other RV fans at Denso as well , here is my email for your friend
[email protected]
Peter CAvallo

Hi Ross
I have a RV6 I built in LA (10 years flying ! )
I Will be in Nagoya at Denso this month 9-25 , perhaps I can see your buddy I have other RV fans at Denso as well , here is my email for your friend
[email protected]
Peter CAvallo

Cool. I'll pass along it along although I believe he's working on the assembly line, starting a new job on the 24th.

Back