What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

key or keyless

Key switch

My RV4, with a brand new key switch caused intermittent backfires on startup. This would shear a pin in the lycoming starter.
I happened a few times before I changed switches and I carried a spar shear pin, which was a half moon key, in my tool kit.

One time I was giving my young niece a ride from her place to our farm for a vacation. The anxious parents were standing clear and waving good bye to their child on her first flight. As luck would have it on start up it backfired and sheared the pin. I got out my tool kit, removed the cowlings, and fixed the starter. It took about 45 minutes. During that time I was sure that my brother and sister in-law were having second thoughts about this homebuilt aircraft!

I replaced that switch with toggles and did not use key switches on the eleven planes that followed it.
I have never had a problem with the toggle switched whether mags or electronic. I do a mag check at run up and always to a check at shutdown to confirm mags off.

I would bet that your key switch didn?t have the jumper on the back that grounds out the non impulse magnito when cranking..

One flying school I attended did that as SOP at shutdown. Never had a problem the 7 or 8 times I did it with their planes. If it was such a risky thing to do, I wouldn't think it would stay as a SOP. YMMV.
My flying school did that as well, and we only had a problem if the RPM was higher than 1000rpm. At or below that, you could shut the key off, wait long enough to hear the engine had stopped firing, and then turn it back on again and nothing would happen.

If you happened to hit the "off" position during your run-up, however, 1700-1800rpm, even if you came back to "both" immediately, you would likely get a backfire.

Back