What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel drainer tester bracket - link request

Bill_H

Well Known Member
Awhile back I saw pics of small brackets to hold the typical "long cylinder with screwdriver tip" fuel tester inside the cockpit. Now I can't find that post anywhere. A link please?

Most any hardware store will have clips to hold broom handles or other round items.

You could use a couple of them for the fuel tester.

This annual I noted that if I hold the gascolator drain open it is easier to remove the bowl. It looks like there is a vacuum created when pulling the bowl. Next annual I'm going to replace the gascolator drain with one I can lock open to make future bowl removals easier.

This annual I noted that if I hold the gascolator drain open it is easier to remove the bowl. It looks like there is a vacuum created when pulling the bowl. Next annual I'm going to replace the gascolator drain with one I can lock open to make future bowl removals easier.

Yes there is a suction that needs to be broken to remove the bowl (it is a closed system).

I recommend caution be used when installing a locking drain in a location that can not easily be seen. I know of at least one RV crash caused by a drain that accidentally stayed locked open. Engine ran ok for taxi and run up, but the big fuel leak caused the carb bowl to become empty at a very inopportune time right after take-off.

Seems like just holding the drain open while removing the cup is a simpler way to deal with it....

I agree, Scott. I've owned a Cherokee for 30 years, and always been aware that if the gascolator drain is inadvertently locked open during preflight it results in loss of power just when you need it: in the climb.

I've also wondered what kind of idiot wouldn't notice fuel pouring out of his gascolator drain!😜

I agree, Scott. I've owned a Cherokee for 30 years, and always been aware that if the gascolator drain is inadvertently locked open during preflight it results in loss of power just when you need it: in the climb.

I've also wondered what kind of idiot wouldn't notice fuel pouring out of his gascolator drain!😜

The same suction that makes the cup hard to remove from the gascolator without opening the valve, prevents much fuel from coming out if the valve is locked open.... until the electric boost pump turns on.:(

I haven't found that to be the case on the Cherokee, but I can't comment on the RV. Even so, flying does require some level of competence. Darwin defined the principle of natural selection. Eventually the issue will disappear from the NTSB files!😈

Darwin was partly right...

I haven't found that to be the case on the Cherokee, but I can't comment on the RV. Even so, flying does require some level of competence. Darwin defined the principle of natural selection. Eventually the issue will disappear from the NTSB files!😈

Hmmm... maybe not. Personal observation is that the species tends to breed before it reaches the age where it begins leaving fuel drains open for climb-out. Small sample size, though. :D
- Roger

Back