What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyView: Caution

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
During a recent flight, the lady hiding in the SkyView suddenly said "Caution".
Everything looked normal on the display, nothing in the yellow, I was at 5,500 ft with no obstruction anywhere and the TIS did not show any aircraft in my vicinity. The warning was not repeated and I completed the flight with no further issue.
Anyone experienced something like that?

Mine has been doing that lately. When it happens I see a flicker in the synthetic terrain map. I wonder if there is a problem in the map database? ??

The caution messages are stored in the datalogs. You can download those, open in excel or another spreadsheet and find out what it's for.

There are no warnings for things based on the terrain data, but there are warnings for things like loss of GPS data. A flicker on the map may be due to a lose GPS wire.

The caution messages are stored in the datalogs. You can download those, open in excel or another spreadsheet and find out what it's for.

There are no warnings for things based on the terrain data, but there are warnings for things like loss of GPS data. A flicker on the map may be due to a lose GPS wire.

Thank you Dynon Support. As you suggested, I downloaded the Alert Data file. At the time of the event, I found three lines with the following type and description:
Text : AP DISCONNECT BROKEN
Audio : SYS_CAUTION
Audio : SYS_CAUTION

Note that at the time the AP had been on for 12 minutes and it did not go into the disconnect state after the caution message. The only unusual thing that happened during the flight is that I put the AP in the Tack+Alt mode rather than HSI+Alt mode. I discovered my error several minutes after this audio message when I noticed that the flight path was drifting from the Flight Plan line. Could it be that this warning was about this drifting?

My D-180 had the same "bug" about the autopilot disconnect circuit being open. I disabled the alarm in the Dynon menu. I assume it was a software problem and not a hardware problem because the disconnect switch works fine.

Weasel,
If you have a passworded ZIP file, then you downloaded the "Dynon Diagnostic File" from your system, not the "User Data Logs". The Dynon file is a special file only we can use here for much deeper system analysis.

Jean-Pierre,
The disconnect switch warning works by checking for a resistor across the disconnect switch. This lets us know if the wire to the switch is broken.

If that resistor is intermittent, then you will get this warning. The Disconnect function will still work as long as the wire gets grounded.

If it's an experimental LSA, then you could choose to turn off the alert. If it's an S-LSA, then you might want to talk to Vans and see if they have any experience with failures here.

Jean-Pierre,
The disconnect switch warning works by checking for a resistor across the disconnect switch. This lets us know if the wire to the switch is broken.

If that resistor is intermittent, then you will get this warning. The Disconnect function will still work as long as the wire gets grounded.

If it's an experimental LSA, then you could choose to turn off the alert. If it's an S-LSA, then you might want to talk to Vans and see if they have any experience with failures here.

Interesting because the external disconnect button was used for the first time on an earlier flight the same day. I always stop the AP from the Skyview button. Good to know anyway and thanks for your help, Dynon Support.

NO Hi-Res Terrain

14:20:20 TEXT SHOW NO HI-RES TERRAIN
14:20:20 AUDIO PLAY SYS_CAUTION
14:20:20 AUDIO PLAY SYS_CAUTION
14:20:21 TEXT HIDE NO HI-RES TERRAIN

Weasel,
That's an interesting one!

My guess is that your GPS is jumping to another place in the world that doesn't have terrain for 1 second then back. Check the Lat/Long at those times.

That shouldn't be happening one way or another so we should figure it out.

Dynon, I sent you a PM. The Alert file shows a corrupted lat. lon entry but not on the user file.

Any update?

4/21/2015 0:10 90 -88.82 5541 154.8 161.2 #NAME? 0:10:48 TEXT SHOW NO HI-RES TERRAIN
4/21/2015 0:10 90 -88.82 5541 154.8 161.2 #NAME? 0:10:48 AUDIO PLAY SYS_CAUTION
4/21/2015 0:10 90 -88.82 5541 154.8 161.2 #NAME? 0:10:48 AUDIO PLAY SYS_CAUTION
4/21/2015 0:10 33.81214 -88.82 5541 154.8 161.2 1.8 0:10:48 TEXT HIDE NO HI-RES TERRAIN

Back