What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drippy Gascolator

KALEWIS

Well Known Member
Noticed evidence of fuel dripping from the bottom part (spring loaded strainer) of the gascolator. Enough had leaked in a few days to show where a small puddle of fuel accumulated. Is there a rebuild kit for the lower assembly? Also turned on the pump and strained some fuel out thinking some sediment may have held the strainer open. Will check tomorrow to see if the leak has repeated.

Could be a tiny piece - -

that got imbedded while sampling. Take it out and hold it open and blow air thru it. Might fix it quickly. Likely won't hurt it.

Just like Vlad posted, that is very common, especially early in the life of an airplane. Just pull it out (best to turn fuel off first), hold it open and clean the crud out with your fingernail and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the quick replies

Is any thread sealant neccesary? Torque Value? Have yet to find any documentation on it as of yet.

No sealant for me - -

but if all else fails, use a drop of Loctite blue on dry threads. Don't know if there is a listed torque, might be. Fairly snug would be my term.

I always use lube/sealant on pipe threads. Either seal lube or the loctite 567. I would not use any blue loctite. I give them a good snug with a stubby wrench.

Beware, blue loctite can make polyurethane paint bubble up and lift off. Ask me how I know. :( used some on my gear leg fairing screws after losing a couple in flight, fortunately the nearly 1 inch diameter removed paint circles around the nutplates on the belly skins are still hidden under the fairings.

Thanks Neal - -

I guess I have not spilled any on a painted surface ( yet ). I use 'blue' on everything except Ice cream.

It should not leak dry fit. You can put some fuel lube on the o-ring.

Assembly instructions say to use thread sealant on all fittings on the gascolator. I use fuel lube as a sealant for any fuel system where a thread sealant would be appropriate.

Assembly instructions say to use thread sealant on all fittings on the gascolator. I use fuel lube as a sealant for any fuel system where a thread sealant would be appropriate.

Fuel lube is not a thread sealant.

A better choice would be tite-seal, most any of the teflon based thread sealants, or most any of the loctite type thread sealants.

Back