What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

31B-03 step 3 rev 3

Gandalf

Well Known Member
Three antennas, four antenna wires, one telephone wire and two snap bushings?

Well I am starting the wiring and my plans (rev 3) show three openings for the antenna in the forward center bottom of the instrument bay. My plane only has two openings in the forward centerline of the instrument bay, one larger than the other.

There are three antenna cables: the WH00051-1 com antenna, the WH00050 transponder antenna and the WH00095 ADS-B antenna and only two snap bushings in my plane. To further confuse matters, the drawing shows a split in the WH00050 with two legs, each leg going into two of the openings for a total of four antenna wires.

I am a bit confused.

Thanks,
Jeff

I'm guessing you probably have an earlier panel base with a later avionics kit (ie. post ADSB). Mine also only came with two holes. I would just drill another snap bushing hole as per the latest plans and build on.

Drill third hole

Jeff,

Newer versions of the F-1202B instrument panel base have three holes drilled in them. Older versions need to have the third added. There is a drawing available with the information on where to place the third hole. Below is a photo of the drawing showing where to place the additional hole.

DSC06667.JPG

Also check your F-1204D bulkhead ... it too needs an extra hole for the wiring. Below is a photo of that hole placement.

DSC06669.JPG

Hope that helps you,

Happy building,

The split transponder cable is just an illusion created when drawing the plans. It really only has one connector at each end ( TNC connector at panel base and BNC connector at antenna).

Jeff,

Newer versions of the F-1202B instrument panel base have three holes drilled in them. Older versions need to have the third added. There is a drawing available with the information on where to place the third hole. Below is a photo of the drawing showing where to place the additional hole.

Hope that helps you,

Happy building,

Hi John... Yes I am missing both holes apparently to support ADS-B? Thanks for taking the time to post the photos so that I can drill the holes in the proper place.

Jeff

Here is John's webpage on this issue:

http://www.dogaviation.com/2014/03/ads-b-wiring-f-1202b-requires-extra-hole.html

Last edited:
The split transponder cable is just an illusion created when drawing the plans. It really only has one connector at each end ( TNC connector at panel base and BNC connector at antenna).

RVTrumpet... OK thanks. My antenna did not come with legs so I was wondering.

Jeff

Back