What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA Aircraft Registration Branch

JRo

Well Known Member
Sensing that completion of my RV-12 kit would occur late this summer (which it has), I began the process of registering it as ELSA in April.

Somewhere early in the process, I failed to provide them with AC Form 8050-88A, which is supplied by Van's near the completion of a kit. I caution you NOT to repeat this oversight.

My plane was registered initially showing me as the builder. To change this to show Van's as the builder took much correspondence and several prolonged and painful delays. In fact, the plane has been ready to fly while 5-6 weeks of gorgeous flying weather passed me by.

Finally, with the intervention of my Congressman (Not kidding!), the registration show Vans Aircraft, Inc. as the manufacturer, and the registration, data plate, and Airworthiness all match, which is the desired result.

The Aircraft Registration Branch in OKC is experiencing about a 1-month back log. The waiting period begins anew with each single piece of correspondence you send. Be advised.

Thanks.

Jim R.
N448JR

Jim,
Sorry to hear of your delay and that the FAA is a delay. I also did not get my process started in time. I just sat down this weekend to start my paperwork since I will be ready to fly in about 5 weeks. I then read that it will take 90-120 days just to get the aircraft registration before I can even arrange a DAR. On top of that I needed the Bill of Sale from Vans' which will take almost two weeks to get from them.
I will not be a happy camper if I am sitting looking at a completed airplane unable to fly.

Better Experience

I recently submitted the paperwork for E-LSA registration - all correctly as I subsequently learned. (had read some posts on VAF to re-check that I was doing it the right way).

I received the postcard confirmation from FAA within 3 weeks which surprised me given some comments from others. I have to believe that if you submit a fully correct & complete package, it shouldn't take that long.

Don't assume the worst ....

My paperwork approval one year ago took 3 - 4 weeks, though the same "90 -120 day" timeframe was posted.
Nevertheless, all of us DO understand the frustration of sitting on the ground when some of best wx of the year shines above. :(

It took me over a month just to get the N number. My 8050-1 shows my name & Van's as aircraft manufacture. Will this cause any issues? Mel?

Bob

If you are going ELSA...

It took me over a month just to get the N number. My 8050-1 shows my name & Van's as aircraft manufacture. Will this cause any issues? Mel?
Bob

Yes, it will cause a problem if the registration shows you both as builders.
The registration must show VANS AIRCRAFT INC as builder.
On the other hand, If you are going EAB, then YOU must be listed as builder and not VANS.
There is no situation where you and Vans can be listed as builder.

I sent my paperwork to OKlahoma on August 2nd and received my postcard 12 days later. Online the registration showed about a week later, so really no need to worry - in general.

I am feeling better about the delay. Thanks.
Can you get a DAR inspection with just the registration showing online or will it take the postcard in hand? Seems like once they have it online it would be gold.

I am feeling better about the delay. Thanks.
Can you get a DAR inspection with just the registration showing online or will it take the postcard in hand? Seems like once they have it online it would be gold.

The airworthiness certificate can be issued if the registration is on line.
However, the aircraft cannot be flown until the actual Registration Card is on board the aircraft.
The DAR should be very specific to point this out.

Hope I didn't steal from the OP.
All this info has been reassuring.
Ed, I would consider using them to expidite the process but it doesn't sound like i will need it now.

To follow up on part of the original post. I sent my registration off in the mail last Monday and it showed on their website this morning. That is less than two weeks.
I guess it won't be my registration that holds me up.

Check list for Registration

Hi all,

I'm about ready to submit my paperwork to OK City for registration. I called my FSDO and ended up educating the representative that there was such a thing as an E-LSA that is not an E-AB. Needless to say, I'm not entirely confident in his advice on how to proceed. Before I send it off, could someone let me know if this looks OK or not? (sorry about the pun. :rolleyes: )

AC Form 8050-1, Aircraft Registration Request
AC Form 8050-2, Kit Bill of Sale
AC Form 8050-88A, Affidavit of Ownership / LSA Manufacturer's Affidavit
AC Form 8050-110, Confirmation of Reservation of Registration Number
personal check for $5.00 payable to FAA

I am NOT submitting
AC Form 8130-15, LSA Statement of Compliance
AC Form 8130-6, Application for Airworthiness Certificate

Thanks in advance,

Rainbow Aviation, the folks who provide the 16 hour training classes for those with E-LSA aircraft, and very well versed in how this is all done. They have examples in their handout materials.

Carol checked registration numbers during the class I attended to ensure the information was correct with the FAA. Mine was not! I had to get back with my DAR and to his credit he hung in there with me until the documents were corrected, resubmitted, and the registration was re-posted correctly.

Mine was one of the first ELSA certificates issued by my FSDO. The DAR worked closely with me. They seemed to be interested in learning the process. Overall it was relatively painless.

Registration comment

The kit from the EAA ( $25) points out all the caveats above, with example forms to reference.

My FSDO was very disappointing regarding knowledge as noted above. So I arranged for DAR.

Anticipating 90 to 120 days , I got my postcard registration in less than two weeks 😊

form 8130-6, Airworthiness Directives

Where do I find the information from Van's to place in Section III of 8130-6, Airworthiness Directives?

FAA more confused than me?

Good news: only 7 days after mailing in my packet, the FAA wrote back to me.

Bad news: They seem more confused that I am. The letter states:

"It appears that Van's Aircraft Inc built the described aircraft (per the Form 8050-88 submitted.) If Van's Aircraft Inc is the builder/manufacturer of the aircraft then the bill of sale from Van's to David Hill should show "Aircraft" bill of sale and not "KIT" bill of sale. If this is the case you may draw a single line through "KIT" and show Aircraft."

Since I did build N76012 from kit, then this doesn't sound like the right thing to do.

The letter doesn't have any alternative action other than to call, which I will do this week. Did anyone have a similar experience? Does anyone have any magic words that I can use to make this go smoothly?

Thanks in advance,
-dbh

I just checked my Bill ofSale. It said "Vans Aircraft, Inc. RV-12". No mention of "Kit". My serial number was also on the BOS.

Dave,

I just had a thought. My RV is an ELSA. Did you go the EAB route. If so, that might be the issue with FAA.

Rich

Back