What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying RV-12 SLSA

mturnerb

Well Known Member
Thanks to everyone here for advice and input. I've talked virtually and directly to a number of members and have gotten great advice. I considered several options, including assisted-build (basically professional build on my behalf), buying used E-LSA, and buying SLSA, as well as recently built used SLSA.

Special thanks to Randy (f1rocket) for his expert advice and input.

One of the challenges I faced if I bought a new SLSA (or some of the better used options) was getting the new bird across the country. Turns out Van's has a "special edition" S-LSA that has been used for demos on the East Coast (was shown at Sebring, will be at Sun N Fun, and has been in several videos as well).

So in a week or so, N273VA should be mine (barring unforeseen glitches between now and then). Unfortunately I can't be there myself due to business travel. Say hello for me if you're in Lakeland....

Sebring8.jpg

Congratulations! I think and hope that you will love your new bird.

I have one just like it...same paint job....and it is just super. I have flown it 92 hours in the seven months since it was new; that is about triple my flight rate in my beloved old Bonanza.

Your bird was delivered to Sun 'n Fun, if I am correct in this. by Chris Thalen who was here at KSEE with a demo bird last summer. I think you will find that Van's people are very fine people indeed; they have been most helpful and responsive to me.

EBB:)

Turner,

It was great to talk to you and I'm glad that you've made a decision on your RV-12 SLSA.

I think buying the demo plane already in FL is a smart move. As Bonanza Bucko says, the paint job is very nice. He and I both have black and silver with red trim. Your plane has the sea grey/silver and lime green trim I believe which looks really nice. Plus I believe you have the Garmin G3X Touch which looks pretty nice. I got some time with it in Mitch Lock's demo plane and it's very good.

The Sebring 2014 demo plane N249VA, which features in a lot of Van's pictures was recently re-sold to a group of pilots in Florida, where you are, so perhaps you can get in touch with them and compare notes?

Best of luck and congrats!!

Congratulations! I think and hope that you will love your new bird.

I have one just like it...same paint job....and it is just super. I have flown it 92 hours in the seven months since it was new; that is about triple my flight rate in my beloved old Bonanza.

Your bird was delivered to Sun 'n Fun, if I am correct in this. by Chris Thalen who was here at KSEE with a demo bird last summer. I think you will find that Van's people are very fine people indeed; they have been most helpful and responsive to me.

EBB:)

Great to hear Bonanza. Thanks for sharing. FYI the RV-12 in this video is the one I'm buying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apaiiPBLXYA

Last edited:
Turner,

It was great to talk to you and I'm glad that you've made a decision on your RV-12 SLSA.

I think buying the demo plane already in FL is a smart move. As Bonanza Bucko says, the paint job is very nice. He and I both have black and silver with red trim. Your plane has the sea grey/silver and lime green trim I believe which looks really nice. Plus I believe you have the Garmin G3X Touch which looks pretty nice. I got some time with it in Mitch Lock's demo plane and it's very good.

The Sebring 2014 demo plane N249VA, which features in a lot of Van's pictures was recently re-sold to a group of pilots in Florida, where you are, so perhaps you can get in touch with them and compare notes?

Best of luck and congrats!!

Thanks Howard. Looking forward to the G3X touch. I've been studying the manuals. I will definitely look up N249VA and get in touch.

Glad i could help out in some small way. That's what VAF is all about. Maybe we'll get a chance to meet at Oshkosh.

Delivered to my home airport today by Van's, after showing at Sun N Fun...

I won't be able to fly until this weekend. Not a fun wait, but work travel bekons.

IMG_9852_zps5b3gywmp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Great airplane Turner, really like the color scheme. Do you know if Vans will be offering it in the future?

What airport will it be based at?

Best of luck, think you made a wise choice!:)

Great airplane Turner, really like the color scheme. Do you know if Vans will be offering it in the future?

What airport will it be based at?

Best of luck, think you made a wise choice!:)

I'm told it's a "special edition" paint scheme, so not sure if they'll be offering it - but I'm also guessing that enough $ could convince them!

It will be at Craig Airport in Jacksonville - I have a T-hangar. The hangar shown in this photo is used by Holladay Aviation at Craig - Dana Holladay (CFI) is transitioning me on the RV-12 and was kind enough to take delivery for me. He and his wife Meridith run a terrific operation.

Last edited:
Back