What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Could you fit a bike(s) in the back of a 14

paszekj

Kind of an off-the-wall-question here. I am deciding which model to go with and leaning toward the 14. My first flight instructor was a good friend and we did a couple cross-countries in a Cessna 172 where we would take the back seat out and could fit two bikes in the back. It was great to have transportation when we got to our destination. I was wondering if this would be possible in an RV14? The dimensions of an average road bike (with the wheels removed) is about 46x52." I realize in looking at the 14 baggage dimensions that it technically wouldn't work, however, it probably doesn't "technically" work in a 172 either.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
It's hard to see how it would be possible, but here are a few pics I took at sun-n-fun in 2013.

2h51yyc.jpg

4i21x0.jpg

vru0x0.jpg

Yeah, no problem.

I regularly get a 55cm frame road bike in the back of the -7.
It requires the removal of the fork, but that's about it.
I've got it down to a reasonably mess free and efficient process now.
Remove handlebars and stem, cable tie or tape handlebars to top tube, fork to down tube.
Cable tie rear derailleur to drive side pedal to hold it forward.
Remove seat.
Wrap it all in a blanket and load into baggage compartment.
Harnesses go over the top to hold it all down.
Probably 10-20 mins each end to get it done.
Unfortunately this is the only decent pic I have.

I'd imagine a -14 has a little more room, but I think fork removal still likely required.

Cheers

16gwtox.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. That is pretty impressive getting a bike in the back of a 7. I have a friend who get's his in his 6 but he takes the passenger seat out. I know I have a lot to learn, but out of curiosity, when building, would it be possible to build an opening into the back wall of the baggage compartment to allow a bike frame to extrude into the empennage a bit? I realize too much could affect W&B but even allowing a foot (i.e., a lb. or two) or so of the frame to slide further back in the plane could possibly make it work.

I really wouldn't want to try.

One of the huge advantages a slider has over a tipper is the ability to lift the canopy off in seconds to completely expose the baggage area to the sky. If you make the tipper mod, you could leave the canopy on the fuse, but you're going to scrape, ding, or damage something sooner or later trying to load a bike.

The 14 is tipper only, and like the other tippers, the "window" over the baggage area is fixed, and the roll bar narrows the gap between itself and the top of the seat brace even more than between a slider canopy frame and the roll bar. Oh, you could remove the seats and slide things under the brace, but to me that is punishment if done on a regular basis and downright risky for clunky and heavy objects. And the tipped canopy is still in the way.

John Siebold

I know I have a lot to learn, but out of curiosity, when building, would it be possible to build an opening into the back wall of the baggage compartment to allow a bike frame to extrude into the empennage a bit? I realize too much could affect W&B but even allowing a foot (i.e., a lb. or two) or so of the frame to slide further back in the plane could possibly make it work.

Anything is possible, but that bulkhead is structural, so the modification would have to be done correctly.

Bikes

Two easily:

Sandsmachine.com.

Before going this route, I routinely put one in my 6 slider.

S & S couplings are really cool but expensive. You don't want to spend that kind of dough on a cheap bike. They will not sell direct to the public, only to qualified frame builders. I recently got a quote of $600 to install a set on my road bike. (Not including repaint) Its around $3000 to have a new frame built up with couplers intstalled. My friend John has one and broken down it fits nicely into the back his 7A slider....not sure about the tip up. Another option is the Ritchey break away. Kind of the same idea in a stock, non custom bike form. I don't like the connection at the couplings as well as the S & S but it does the job and its a decent full sized bike.

I have a folding bike that fits comfortably in the back of my tip-up -9A.

I'm not sure I'd get two in there, but one certainly fits easily enough, so getting one in a -14 should be a piece of cake.

Step one. Buy a bike. Preferably one that folds up.
9851641473_2e0f954da2_z.jpg

Step two. Curse that your yet-to-be-finished -9A means you can't stand upright as you lift it into the back.
9851653083_f8cec9fb42_z.jpg

Ta-daa!
9851635873_fab61b1c60_z.jpg

Back