- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2014, 03:25 PM

Default battery discharging in flight

Airborne & homeward bound today, my battery began to discharge. It showed around -6 amp, and voltage dropped from 12.9v to 11.8v in the course of a 40 minute ride home. The only system control I could locate in the cockpit was the 30 amp fuse for the generator, which I checked and found OK.

As it was a beautiful day and homeward bound, didn't think an unscheduled landing was called for; pressed on without further incident.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:21 PM

Jim-

The first thing I would check is to make sure the plug into the voltage regulator on the lower engine side of the firewall is pushed in all the way.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:50 PM

There are some suggestions at this website:
Testing the Rotax Regulator
In addition to the tests mentioned, I would also measure the DC voltage between terminal "C" and the regulator case (with master switch on and engine off). The voltmeter should read battery voltage on terminal C. A more meaningful voltage measurement can be made while doing this test if an automotive brake lamp is connected between terminal "C" and ground. The lamp will load the circuit to make any high resistance connections more noticeable. If all of the above tests do not indicate a problem, but the system voltage is less than 13.5 with the engine running, then replace the voltage regulator.
Joe Gores
Old 05-14-2014, 09:39 PM

Default Replaced Regulator

Had similar problem but would indicate a charge for 10 to 15 minutes during flight but would then start discharging. Replaced the voltage regulator and haven't had a problem since.

Jersey
Old 05-16-2014, 10:02 AM

Default Settings

Since reading this post, I made it a point to monitor my voltage during a flight this morning. I noticed the voltage to be 13.4/13.5 but it was in the yellow below the green area. I think 13.4/13.5 is good but puzzled why it would be in the yellow range. WHAT should the voltage reading be during cruise with everything turning on??
Old 05-16-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris12Man View Post
Since reading this post, I made it a point to monitor my voltage during a flight this morning. I noticed the voltage to be 13.4/13.5 but it was in the yellow below the green area. I think 13.4/13.5 is good but puzzled why it would be in the yellow range. WHAT should the voltage reading be during cruise with everything turning on??
What is your normal voltage reading and how much are you drawing (i.e. all the electronics turned on) during the flight? It is possible that you are taxing your alternator a bit too much.

I think most regulators in alternators are set to about 14.1-14.5v. If you start drawing more amps than the alternator can easily handle, then the voltage comes down in relation to the draw. I would think mid 13v would be fair to judge it as the upper part of the yellow, since the 14.x would be the green and 12.x volt would be considered red or near red.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:34 PM

I thought Dynon had a low bus voltage alarm. My bus volts are usually about 13.8V, and my ammeter usually shows a trickle charge of1 or 2 amps.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:44 AM

Pulled the cowl and began testing. About an hour in, we went to remove plug from regulator/rectifier, and found it loose. One of the 2 securing clips was apparently never seated properly from the get-go! My bad. Once properly "clipped in" all systems normal.

Although I feel foolish, really relieved it was an uncomplicated fix. Whew! I had set aside a whole day for the problem, ended up with the rest of the day free. When does that ever happen, right?!

Jim R.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:29 PM

Jim, glad to hear it was a minor issue. Now get that new fuel pump and you should be good to go for a long time.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:23 PM

I like reading about the simple fixes. I file them away as stuff to try first if I have a problem. --- like the statue in Animal House said "Knowledge is good"!