What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Lever thumb saver

ben barron

Well Known Member
Patron
Here is a simple fix to save pinching your thumb on the flap lever.

thumb%20saver%20parts.JPG

thumb%20saver%20finished.JPG

thumb saver

Great idea,

Stopped counting the amount of times I've pinched one or more fingers.
It's usually due to a distraction both on the ground and in the air. One way that seems to help, is to push the handle or gear bar down with the palm of your hand, then depress the end button.

Best,
Tony

After getting hurt 3 or 4 times, I finally modified the flap button. I do not have a lathe like Don.
So I cut the guillotine off with a hacksaw and smoothed the knob with a file and sandpaper.
The red vinyl cap is off the end of a countersink bit tube.
Flap%252520Button.jpg
Red%252520Cap.jpg

Don,
Good job. It looks like you can deploy the flaps by just pulling on the handle. Retracting the flaps requires depressing the flap handle button first.

I could never understand why Van's designed that "finger-pinching" tiered button (weight reduction perhaps? ;)). I keep waiting for some enterprising soul with a lathe to offer solid Delrin plastic replacement buttons -- slick sliding and no pinching!! Much $$$ to be made here!

I had some fun with a lathe and made this for my 12. I drilled some holes from the bottom to reduce the weight, not as light as the Van's part but zero pinch potential.

John Salak
RV-12 #120116 N896HS
2chop6a.jpg

2wmji2q.jpg

This thread is a year old, I know, but the issue is new to me. I just got checked out in an LSLA RV-12, and I like the plane a lot. But the flap handle "bit" me twice, on two consecutive days. The first time, it tore the skin on my thumb. I'm daydreaming about buying an SLSA, but the RV-12's flap handle is a deal-breaker for me. Has anyone figured out a solution that can be implemented on an SLSA version of the RV-12? Maybe a rubber or plastic cap that fits over the button and covers the gap between the button and the handle?

dont let that keep you from owning a great little airplane, I quickly learned how to avoid the pinch in my slsa. No trick just am more careful with the action.

I believe the button has been redesigned without the notched area. It may be part of already shipped kits. This would make it also retrofitable to any previously delivered S-LSA.

Thanks Scott. I would like to get one of the new flap buttons. Do you by chance have the new part number, or is it the same as the old part?
Thanks,
Alex

Page 32-08 Flap Knob VA-110

Alex,

The answer to your question can be found on Page 32-08 Revision 2 dated 07-06-15 and published on Vans' Service Information page on 11-16-15 which showed:

Part number VA-110 Flap Knob

It is on "The List" for $11.60.

And yes it uses the same part number as the previous design shown on Page 32-08 Revision 0.

-Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Scott, Dave and Tim.

I loved everything about the RV-12 . . . except the flap handle mechanism. Now, thanks to you, I see that there are three ways to eliminate the source of my disappointment -- one that costs only 21 cents, a record low price for anything having to do with airplanes!

Lon

I've seen this issue brought up before, but it has never been a problem in my 12. I put a control stick grip on the flap handle that has a flange at the end. I guess it keeps my paws from getting into the gap on the button. I can send a pic if anyone wants one. I haven't had much luck posting pics.

Thanks Scott, Dave and Tim.

I loved everything about the RV-12 . . . except the flap handle mechanism. Now, thanks to you, I see that there are three ways to eliminate the source of my disappointment -- one that costs only 21 cents, a record low price for anything having to do with airplanes!

Lon

If you do end up making a purchase of an S-LSA RV-12 there is only one legal option..... install the updated part available from Van's
Any other version you could do what every you wanted.

Well, it looks like the photo software has once more got the better of me. I'll keep trying. Hope you like microbiology article!👿

Woo-hoo! Success. Apparently on iPads you have to copy the URL form the browser address, not the IMG box on the Photbucket page.

If you are on a PC, you can right click on the photo, select "properties", then copy the Address (URL), and paste it between image tags. (hit Quote on this post and take a look at the format).

image.jpeg

I've seen this issue brought up before, but it has never been a problem in my 12. I put a control stick grip on the flap handle that has a flange at the end. I guess it keeps my paws from getting into the gap on the button. I can send a pic if anyone wants one. I haven't had much luck posting pics.

Rich,

The flange on the control stick grip is definitely what keeps your thumb out of the "pinch" zone. And the grip looks good too. I've built RC helicopters before but never a full scale aircraft, so I can't tell from your photo how you added the grip to the flap handle. Did the grip just slide over the handle, so it could be done by anyone (without assembly experience or an LOA from Van's), or did you have to disassemble and then reassemble something?

Lon

Lon,

Originally this was a grip with a solid top that was supposed to slip over a control stick tube. It had a small hole in the top center for a PTT switch. I just ran a step drill down through the hole until I had a hole flush with the manufactured hole for the stick. Then with the help of a little liquid soap I slipped it on.

Rich

Back