What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installation of Vernier Throttle in RV-12 SLSA

Ex Bonanza Bucko

Well Known Member
We will install this in my SLSA on Tuesday. But I lent the installation instructions to a guy who ain't around. I downloaded it from this BLOG about a month ago when one of you very kindly sent the link to me.

Can somebody give me that link again?

This document disappeared into a black hole along with about $XXXX.00 worth of tools that got "lent" to somebody in the last 50 years. Then, of course, my age and lack of a medical may have produced the senility to make them escape into outer space or something.:=(

Thanks,
EBB::)

Is a Vernier Throttle kit now available from Van's?

I asked about this a few weeks ago from the order desk while getting various other parts for my annual, but was told it was not available.

We will install this in my SLSA on Tuesday. But I lent the installation instructions to a guy who ain't around. I downloaded it from this BLOG about a month ago when one of you very kindly sent the link to me.

Can somebody give me that link again?

This document disappeared into a black hole along with about $XXXX.00 worth of tools that got "lent" to somebody in the last 50 years. Then, of course, my age and lack of a medical may have produced the senility to make them escape into outer space or something.:=(

Thanks,
EBB::)

So, does this mean its approved by Vans for the SLSA?

Thanks, looking forward to hearing a report on the install and how you like it.
Its clearly needed!

Tim:
I paid Van's $250 for the throttle. We installed it yesterday and found the installation pretty easy. The throttle works just fine. It is not exactly as you would remember a vernier throttle as I did on my Bonanza; you have to push or pull gently as you wind the nob. That is not a problem. You, of course, can also push/pull as before. The new springs are a lot softer.
I like the throttle. I hated the old one.

EBB

EBB,

Are the newer 'softer' springs you've installed with the vernier throttle the replacement for the faulty McFarlane ones?

Enjoy the new throttle!

Tim:
I paid Van's $250 for the throttle. We installed it yesterday and found the installation pretty easy. The throttle works just fine. It is not exactly as you would remember a vernier throttle as I did on my Bonanza; you have to push or pull gently as you wind the nob. That is not a problem. You, of course, can also push/pull as before. The new springs are a lot softer.
I like the throttle. I hated the old one.

EBB

EBB,

FYI?regarding the springs that come with the vernier throttle. I was talking with Gus at Vans today and he mentioned that the springs in the vernier package are intermediate and not the official replacement springs from McFarlane. Vans aren't stocking these intermediate springs and are waiting for the replacements.

I think I'll get the vernier throttle installed at annual. Sounds good!!

Backordered

I contacted Van's this week about getting the Vernier Throttle to install during my annual this month. Its currently back ordered with no solid idea as to when it will be available. But given what I've heard and read, its worth waiting for. I'm getting pretty good at managing the current throttle but a third hand would be useful!

I called McFarlane a couple weeks ago and they said the new springs are being tested and if all goes well will be available very soon now.FWIW.

Installed the vernier throttle and springs this week .... Great improvement. Like a totally different airplane !!!

Back