What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Rib Rivet Orientation

Jamesey

Well Known Member
Somewhere I saw a notice (I think from Vans) about the location of shop/manufactured heads on the inner wing rib. Something to do with possible interference I think.
I can no longer find this on the Vans site (if it was there) or by a search of this forum. Anyone remember this??
Jim D

Just did a search of construction drawings from the CD. The only place that seemed relevant was 15-05 step 1. Is that what you were looking for? I wasn't sure about getting the CD but it sure has been handy finding things like this.

This was a 'Notify' dated Feb 3,2015, titled 'Changes to Plans page 15-04.

Reason for Revision:

Rivets that attach the most inboard W-1210 Main Rib to the wing spar may interfere with the fuselage if installed with the shop head on the inboard (fuselage) side of the rib. This will prevent the wings from fully inserting into the fuselage. As a result the spar pins will be more difficult to insert into place. The shop head may also damage the fuselage side skin and rivet heads in the fuselage assembly. Most damage will be minor and may be buffed out and ignored. If you feel the shop heads have caused more than minor damage contact Van's Aircraft for further analysis.

The above is the content of the 'Notify' message.

Rex, I don't think I have that Notification and can't seem to find it on Van's Support site. Can you point me to where you found it? I actually have that note hand written in my drawings but have no idea where I got it from. Thx.

slightly confused

Good point. If the rivets circled red in the image are the ones which could interfere with the fuselage skin, then I missed that notification :eek:.
As far as I recall the build instruction, the manual explicitly indicated the rivet direction that way.
Maybe the notification means the ones circled green. If so, then I am lucky:) .
58rwm.jpg

Does anybody know which rivets are meant?
Thank you!!

Last edited:
Rex, I don't think I have that Notification and can't seem to find it on Van's Support site. Can you point me to where you found it? I actually have that note hand written in my drawings but have no idea where I got it from. Thx.

Where was this posted? I didn't see it on the RV-12 revisions page either.

http://vansaircraft.com/public/service-rv12.htm

Is there another place where this kind of information is posted?
Thanks,

This 'Notify' was an email message advising of a revision to the RV-12 plans, and contained the information the revision was addressing. I have received many of these emails over the course of construction. I happened to print this one and save it and check the rivets the next time the wings are off.

Thanks, 9Driver. I wasn't aware the factory sent email updates. I do remember the manual saying to check the website often for changes and updates.

Notify

Thanks for the pointers. I was indeed a notification email of RV-12 Plans Revisions Posted, my email dated 04 February 2015.
A clear statement from our friends at Vans to the photo in post #7 above would be helpful. I'm in a similar situation. However with the skins on, I would not like to have to remove the rivets marked in RED in that picture.
Jim D

Slightly Confused

I believe it was Rev 15-04 Rev 1. It was on the website for only a few days then disappeared. I sent and email to Van's on February 8 asking where the Rev went and the curt reply I got was "I don't know" from Gus. My personal opinion is Van's Tech Pubs is lacking. Maybe Scott will read this and chime in on where that Rev went. By the way the Revision calls for the 12 LP4-3 rivets to have the manufactured head on the inboard side so it looks like you are good.

Maybe Scott will read this and chime in on where that Rev went. By the way the Revision calls for the 12 LP4-3 rivets to have the manufactured head on the inboard side so it looks like you are good.

I am at home sick so can't give you an absolute answer.
I do know an e-mail was sent out to all RV-12 builders that have an e-mail registered in Van's database (check you SPAM folder). It is possible that the actual plans revision hasn't made it all the way through the processes yet, which would be why it isn't yet posted on the web site.

If I remember correctly, the primary concern was the two rivets at the top of the rib attach angle, so the wing in the photo posted in this thread should be ok. I think the plans change was specifying all the rivets to be oriented that way just to be sure.

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well Scott. The revision in question was posted and that is why many of us are confused - we have seen it but now we can't find it. Please keep us posted on the the status of the revision when you get back to the office.

Back