What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FOUND! Cheaper source for tip-up canopy struts

dan

Well Known Member
Every few years, one (or both) of my tip-up canopy struts gives up the ghost. It happens. Van's now charges $32 apiece for replacement C-690 (Van's p/n) struts, as you can see here (http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/parts.txt):

C-690 REPLACEMENT STRUT $32.00

It's not a bank breaker, but for the longest time I've had this feeling like that's gotta be a jacked-up price. Several years ago I searched for a cheaper source for the same part and came up short.

So this time I had to replace 'em, I again started doing some research. The part is the Stabilus Lift-o-Mat 8x18mm p/n 752819. I don't even remember where I found this PDF, but it came from somewhere on Stabilus' web site:

http://www.rvproject.com/Stabilus1597.pdf

It shows the specs of the 752819 as:
Stroke Length: 6.3"
Extended Length: 15.95"
Force: 22.5 lbs

So anyway, I emailed Stabilus to see where I could buy these puppies directly. They responded today and told me that "Orr & Orr" is the recommended distributor. Well, lo and behold, they sell 'em for $18.25 apiece!!

http://orrorr.thomasnet.com/item/gas-springs/gas-springs-with-composite-ends/h-9503-25

Don't know about you, but I'm happy to have found a half-price source! Figured I'd share this little tidbit with the rest of the RV world. Pass it on.

Oh...another little tidbit. If you wipe the strut down with alodine, all the white printed text comes right off. Kind of a cleaner look.

thanks for the info Dan, good to know. Keep us posted on how they hold up...unfortunately cheaper sometimes means junk. But hey, you could replace them twice as often at that price! :)

More force options

With a full source supplier it might be worth trying the next force selection, 752827 with 34 lbs (150N vs 100N)... same 18.25 price.

Dan, was Orr & Orr reasonable with shipping cost?

Last edited:
McMaster-Carr part number 9416K172 is similar (30lb force), but has threaded ends. I wonder if you could re-use the ends from the stock springs?

Price Break...

Well the lift struts on 339A are finally starting to get weak. (After 5 years and 780 hours) So I began searching around for some replacement ones. After scouring through the archives I came across this thread. I figured I would add to it so I can find it again when I need to place another order. :rolleyes: I had contacted a company in Canada (Points West Marketing) who supplies the Stabilus ones. They e-mailed me back stating the following:

Thank you for the gas spring inquiry.
We do carry Stabilus Lift-O-Mat item #GAS752819 in-stock.
Your cost/availability is as follows:

#GAS752819 = $33.90/ea. USD Based on ordering 2 pcs.

*Shipping charges via UPS ground to most US locations=$15.00 USD.

*Delivery time 3-4 days regular service. Can be expedited if need be, additional shipping charges will apply.

OK, so $33.90 each plus $15.00 shipping definitely no break there. Pretty much the same as Vans price. So I tried Dans link and got the $18.25 each price. So I went ahead and ordered them. This morning I get a confirmation e-mail with the following:

Product ID: H-9503-25
Buyer Product Number:
Product Name: Gas Springs with Composite Ends
Product Description:
Applications Include: Doors, lids, hatches, furniture, boats, recreational vehicles, office equipment and many more. Available in composite, metal or blade ends.Mounting brackets must be ordered separately
Units Per Package: 1
Package Type: Each
Package Price: $12.05
Quantity: 2
Item Total: $24.10

Subtotal: $24.10
Promotion: $0.00
Discount: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Shipping:$6.47
Handling: $0.00
Total:$30.57

WOW :D The price goes down to $12.05 each and shipping is only $6.47! That's both of them delivered for less than one anywhere else. :confused:

The specs are the same, so I guess we'll see what they look like when they get here. Just in case you're in need of struts, it might be a good time to buy a couple.

Regards,

Inquiring minds want to know

So what were your results with the struts? Were they a direct replacement? Did you have to make modifications to use them?

How did you determine whether you needed to replace one strut or both? :confused: Just take them loose and check the force it takes to operate? Does it make sense to replace just one, especially when you can buy a pair this cheap?

Thanks!

Stewart

So far, so good

I immediately ordered and installed a pair of the ones that Sharpie posted in July and, so far, find them a perfect replacement. The fit on the -6 was perfect and they have performed flawlessly (albeit for only four months).

Since my canopy was starting to droop down in a modest wind on a cool day, I replaced both cylinders. Just seemed like the prudent thing to do.

I was very surprised to find out that struts on my Mini are exactly the same :D Now I have a pair of donor struts for free.

struts.jpg

Exactly The Same

So what were your results with the struts? Were they a direct replacement? Did you have to make modifications to use them?

How did you determine whether you needed to replace one strut or both? :confused: Just take them loose and check the force it takes to operate? Does it make sense to replace just one, especially when you can buy a pair this cheap?

Thanks!

Stewart

After five years of use I just went ahead and replaced them both. Should have done it sooner. Given the cost, it's about the cheapest PM you can perform. What happened to us, on the way home from LOE we stopped at Goodland, KS. It's always windy there, I had the canopy up with the plane facing into the wind. Next thing I know it slams down.... :eek: fortunately the canopy was OK. Given that a busted canopy would have been a disaster, I'm thinking of making this a biennial event. They are certainly cheap enough.

BTW it took about 30 seconds to change out and they are exact replacements for the Vans supplied ones. Same part # and manufacturer. You could tell a huge difference in the force between the used ones and new ones (they were wore out). A simple PM which could save you an endless amount of frustration/depression and a new canopy. :cool:

Regards,

Last edited:
It's fairly easy to make a 'safety latch' for shock struts, though I haven't checked it for fit on my -7 (not flying yet). This was a required mod to a piece of equipment where I work that had clamshell covers similar to a tipup canopy.

The trick is a piece of tubing just larger than the cylinder diameter, and slightly shorter than the strut's shaft that's exposed when extended. With the strut installed so that the shaft is on bottom, the sleeve will cover the cylinder with the canopy closed, and when the canopy is opened, gravity & the angle of the strut will cause the tube to drop off-center on the shaft. If the canopy starts to close without attention to the sleeve, the cylinder will jam against the top edge of the tube (the bottom is jammed against the bottom strut fitting).

To close the canopy, just center the tube as the canopy comes down, allowing the cylinder to enter the tube.

Obviously, some effort will be needed to keep the tube off the paint on the cockpit side rail, & to minimize rattling (not an issue in industrial equipment...)

Again, I haven't used this on my -7, but I've used it successfully on a couple of different car hoods that used shock struts & it worked great, even with scraps of PVC water line for tubing.

Charlie

Thanks!!

I am going to order tonight! Thanks for all your input. My canopy will thank you all.

Stewart:D

I'm using them. Perfect replacement. I didn't even realize just how sad mine were until we replaced them.

I just ordered two for my -7! The Van's struts last through phase one and folded... I'll let everyone know how these work!

- Peter

I just ordered two for my -7! The Van's struts last through phase one and folded... I'll let everyone know how these work!

- Peter

Just want to resolve any lingering confusion. The struts I mentioned are THE EXACT ONES that Van's sells. They will not perform any better or worse...it's the identical part.

I only suggested a cheaper place to get 'em! :)

Think Van's will drop the price now that we found a cheapcut?

Has anyone tried the -35

My 'new' struts seem to be weak . . . not much lifting force or ability to hold unless all of the way open. I'm considering trying the -35 (35 lb version). Comments? Thanks!

My 'new' struts seem to be weak . . . not much lifting force or ability to hold unless all of the way open. I'm considering trying the -35 (35 lb version). Comments? Thanks!

Yeah, that is pretty much how they are. It is simply a geometry thing.

-35 Parts

I'm using them on my -7A now. Had them for about five months with no issues. Canopy is definately more rigid in the wind.....

Keep in mind that you are closing the canopy with just one hand pulling on one side. The stronger the strut, the more your canopy will try to twist before it releases.

What a difference!

I know as parts slowly fail you tend not to notice as much, but I just replaced my struts - they came in 3 days after ordering them even with Christmas slow-downs. I finally went out to the hangar to replace them and found that:
1. These are a perfect replacement (I know - you told me that)
2. It only took me 5 minutes to replace both of them (not the standard 5 minutes you hear about to seal a fuel tank, mount your engine etc! :rolleyes:)
3. With only one new strut in place the canopy was firmly held open!
4. I am all done and not even bleeding :cool:

Thanks for the post on where to find these.

A Christmas eve gift for my plane.

Stewart

My new struts arrived and they are very weak... In fact they hold about the same as the struts I was replacing which are not NEARLY as strong as the struts I had on the RV-6 tip up I used to fly. With one strut the canopy falls. With two, I have to have it about half open for it to stay open and they will NOT lift the canopy at all. I have to hoist it up to the top of the travel and then it will stay.

As far as I'm concerned this is a FAIL for Orr & Orr. Anyone else get their struts and have a similar experience?

- Peter

Orr and Orr Struts

Just purchased the 35 lb springs (H9503-35) and installed yesterday. Cost with shipping for two was $49.02. Exact match and work fine

Don Harker
N767DH
RV-7A

35Lb PIREP

I just got my 35lb struts from Orr & Orr. I took the old kit ones off my 7A after almost 2 years/201 hours. They were very light. One old strut wouldn't even hold the canopy open with assistance.

Put one new 35lb on, and it can hold the canopy up. Put the other on and, wow. It will raise itself from about 60% open (nicely, not sharply). Its quite hard to pull down, and probably would be a bit stuff for an old tip up that doesn't have the riveted on "skirt" torsion box. I even considered putting an old strut on the right, 35lb on the left and running a combination since I always open/close from the left.

I think I'll leave both 35lb in place for now though.

Product Number: H-9503-35
Product Name: Gas Springs with Composite Ends
Items Per Package: 1
Package Type:Each
Price: 18.25

Hope this helps someone when it comes time for theirs.
..lance
RV7A

Just ordered 2ea of the 35 lb models from Orr & Orr this week and when they arrived today I realized they sent me the wrong parts. The invoice/packing list is correct stating that I ordered the H9503-35 150N Stabilus #752827 but they actually sent me the H9503-25 100N Stabilus #752819.

Buyer beware...check your order closely when you receive it!

I have contacted them, will let you know how it goes.

Strut ends plastic or metal?

Are any of the new struts arriving with metal ends rather than the original plastic?

Lift cylinders

Has anyone found these available locally from Napa,oreillys, advance auto etc? Looks like Vlad had a match for the mini cylinders....did they work? One of mine gave up the ghost and puked oil....so I'm looking for them locally.

Just ordered 2ea of the 35 lb models from Orr & Orr this week and when they arrived today I realized they sent me the wrong parts. The invoice/packing list is correct stating that I ordered the H9503-35 150N Stabilus #752827 but they actually sent me the H9503-25 100N Stabilus #752819.

Buyer beware...check your order closely when you receive it!

I have contacted them, will let you know how it goes.

Just realized I never reported what happened with this.

They had awesome customer service. They admitted their mistake and quickly sent the right parts. Told me to keep the ones that were sent incorrectly.

Struts will last longer if properly installed....... Rod pointing down.

This does two things. 1, It keeps the seal lubricated. 2, A built-in valve allows the extension to have a cushion just before full extension so it doesn't TOP out. This valve does not work if installed upside down.

I've been meaning to replace my gas struts on my RV-7 tip-up for a couple of months. However, every time I look at Orr & Orr site for the better price ($18.25 each + $8.70 S&H), I couldn't help but think there's got to be something cheaper.

And there is.

I was looking for an alternative to the Stabilus brand version Van's sells. The spec's on the OEM strut van's provides is an extended length of 15.95", stoke length of 6.30", 22.5lb force and 10mm ball sockets on either end. I liked the idea of a strut that had a little more force than the stock one. However, Stabilus only makes a 100N (22.5lb) and 150N (33.7lb) version. Something in the middle would be ideal.

I found the Suspa C16-08941 strut fit the bill almost perfectly. 125N (28.1lb)force, 10mm ball sockets, 6.3" stroke length, and the extended length was 15.7". A little shorter than the Van's ones, but only by 1/4". The best part - Amazon sells them on for $18.25 a PAIR, with free shipping for Prime members (a week ago I paid $14.28, so the price seems to vary).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007MUY76O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I ordered them last Saturday night, they arrived Monday morning and I snapped them on the RV today. They look identical to the other struts and seem to work just fine. Even though the picture on Amazon shows the struts with an unpainted metal clip on either end, mine came with a black painted clip, just like the Van's ones. The extra force is really nice as it now has the strength to life the canopy up on it's own. The other struts just seem to be able to hold them at whatever place I stopped lifting the canopy. They have an excellent rating, with a 4.7/5 star rating on Amazon, based on 301 votes.

Enjoy the savings!

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. Mine have been off and on so many times, I could take them off without much effort on the clip.

A caution from experience

Don't be surprised if fresh or stronger struts increase the forward force on the closed canopy to the point the sheet metal forward edge catches on the forward fuselage top skin when you try to open it, resulting in a loud pop and a puckered lip and necessitating trimming of your painted sheet metal parts :(

Thanks for post Mike. I like to replace the struts at annual in the even numbered years. My vans struts allowed the canopy to drop closed once, (and that was enough for me to learn to NEVER let the struts get worn down). Thankfully no damage. I do like the increased pressure in these so although I've just finished an annual I'm going to order and install these.

I snapped mine on today - perfect fit and hold the canopy on my 9 up better than original. Thanks for the tip.

1 week PIREP - these struts work great! They have enough force to push the canopy fully up once you crack the canopy 30 degrees or so. They also aren't too powerful, as the canopy is still easy to pull down. The 28 LB of force seems to be the sweet spot for what's optimal for a RV tip-up. Time will tell the quality, but for $15 a pair, these are just getting replaced every annual or two.

Shepard struts

Any follow up on those who replaced their struts with Suspa c16-08941 with what I believe was 28lbs of force. Need to replace mine and would just like to confirm you are happy with them.

Thanks

Any follow up on those who replaced their struts with Suspa c16-08941 with what I believe was 28lbs of force. Need to replace mine and would just like to confirm you are happy with them.

Thanks

I installed a set of these struts on my RV-6 last week. They work fine.

Struts

Thanks for the response guys, I wanted to make sure the heavier lift was affecting in an adverse way.

What I noticed after I replaced struts recently. Due to thousands of cycles opening/closing and general canopy wear the stronger struts caused "skin bites". Two times. That unnerving sound of crack so watch it closely after replacement. :)

Skin bites

Oh, got you. Sounds a bit scared. I?ll have to look to see how tight mine is when closing

Back