What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass help

Adam W

Well Known Member
Building a 7
New to fiberglass

Laid up five layers of 5.8 ounce cloth last night. Looking at it this morning the total layup does not appear thick. I question how strong this will be. I have done sides and rear skirts all in one layup I?m not using aluminium
I didn?t use the peel and ply as I didn?t know if I should and I know I have to use more layers of resin to even out the wavy ness anyway

So now it seems to be cured or drying in a uniform fashion there isn?t any big bumps of resin just the texture of the cloth etc
Questions

Do I apply more layers of cloth? And can I if this has dried?
Do I build it up with resin and flox if it needs or seems to need being thicker?
Do I use resin and microballons to just move on and smooth out and
How do I know if this layup is adequate thickness?
Do I sand it before applying either more cloth or resin?

Thanks for any help I get

Fiberglass

You should always use peelply when you can. Now to add more layers, you need to sand the **** out of it. Flox is used for structural things, hard to sand. Micro is only for aesthetics, non structural and sands like drywall spackle. Yes, take a class, read a book, and watch YouTube videos. Search mike Arnold fiberglass. Might be out dated, but it's a start!

On Van's Aircraft website there are several supplemental videos describing the construction of the RV-14 canopy fairing. The videos are specific for the -14, but the process isn't much different for the -7. I found them extremely helpful.

Here is the site for the videos:

http://vansaircraft.com/public/service-rv14.htm

All the strength is in the glass. The resin is only the glue that binds them together. So if you have applied all the layers of glass that Van's requires than you have the structural strength. Now if you need more thickness you will need to roughen up the fibers on your lay up so the next material you apply will bond. You don't need to sand the snot out of it just roughen the surface. If I were to add something just for cosmetics I would choose something that will bond good and sand fairly easily. If you use a structural filler it will be hard to sand and if you have the required structural lay up you do not need more structure.
If you need more lay up , yes you can add more by just sanding the last layer to roughen it up a bit for bonding.
P.S. too much resin in your lay up when applying will thicken up your lay up but weaken it as well. Just enough to thoroughly wet it out is always best. That is why vacuum bagging it stronger as it sucks out the access resin as does the infusion process. We can get by hand applying if we are careful and soak up the extra resin with a brush.

Back